Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust Questions
Hellfire

posted on 1/6/04 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust Questions

We were convinced our exhaust was blowing from places other than where it should be exhausting. Tonight, armed with soapy water we checked the joints including the 'can'. Well, more holes and gaps than a patchwork quilt!

As it's a popular manufactured Stainless Steel one, what is used to lower the Db? What do you do - increase density of wadding or decrease for reduced volume levels? Will it affect performance greatly? Where do we source such material to pack it with?

Any advice would be appreciated please

JoelP

posted on 1/6/04 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
number one choice would be to send it back in my books! fair doos, mine blows, but thats cos i made it out of 2 scrap systems! im gonna use a few spot welds to cover the obvious ones, then a wrap and then the heat shield lagging stuff.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Wadders

posted on 1/6/04 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a straight through design, the amount/tightness of the packing tends to make sod all difference to the sound or performance, the only way to lower the db is to fit a baffle, this will definately give less performance. you can buy packing wool from most bike shops, but its a waste of money IMHO.

i]Originally posted by Hellfire
We were convinced our exhaust was blowing from places other than where it should be exhausting. Tonight, armed with soapy water we checked the joints including the 'can'. Well, more holes and gaps than a patchwork quilt!

As it's a popular manufactured Stainless Steel one, what is used to lower the Db? What do you do - increase density of wadding or decrease for reduced volume levels? Will it affect performance greatly? Where do we source such material to pack it with?

Any advice would be appreciated please

redeye

posted on 1/6/04 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
where did u buy the exaust?

im gettin an mk one in the next few days and for 300 squid i hope it snot gonna be a blowin

SeaBass

posted on 2/6/04 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hellfire are you talking about blowing at welds eg at the collector or can input?

Or at the seal in the silencer where it splits for repacking?

Or just at the manifold silencer joint?

Cheers

Hellfire

posted on 2/6/04 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just to quel some queries. The welding is top notch no leaks here. It's leaking at the joints - so we're gonna seal those with exhaust sealer. It's also leaking at the 'can' 'cap' which is used for repacking yes. Should we seal that too - or are there any disadvantages?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.