Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Renault 19 radiator
James

posted on 9/9/02 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Renault 19 radiator

Anybody thought of using a Renault 19 radiator/fan?

Spotted one at scrappie on Saturday and it looked small and light. Had fan switch built in aswell.

Any use?

Cheers,

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/9/02 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
depends on the size of engine you are using!

I saw lots of nice shaped rads in scrappies....but I restricted myself to something close to the engine size im using.

Bigger engines = more heat = bigger rad. My wifes Megane has a nice dinky rad but its a dinky 1.4 L engine too.

19's are pre meganes - I think they were 1.4 and 1.7 litres? If thats about your motor size, then its worth a try.

My engine, being a 2.4, used a rad from a volvo 240 series - about 2 litres i think, but looks pretty close to the book rad - a bit more square i think.

Lots of newer cars have big wide, but very thin rads. What you want on a locost is one with a convenient frontal area, and a thicker core - lots of cars nowadays run really skinny rads.

atb

steve

paulf

posted on 9/9/02 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at a few Renault rads and considered using a R5 rad as it looked ideal and had a neat rear mounted fan. However i decided on a VW polo rad which is also used in golfs and jettas.It is an alloy and plastic rad and is very light and i think better heat dissipation than a brass and copper type as fitted to older cars.
I also think that westfield have supplied them, i paid £10 for rad and fan but a new one is only about £35.The fan is a bit bulky so i fitted a fireblade fan which is small and powerfull, but have not yet run the engine to prove it.
Paul.

quote:
Anybody thought of using a Renault 19 radiator/fan?

Spotted one at scrappie on Saturday and it looked small and light. Had fan switch built in aswell.

Any use?

Cheers,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.