Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Airbox sizes
cliftyhanger

posted on 20/8/15 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Airbox sizes

Thinking of changing the K+N filters on my zetec/jenvey setup to an airbox. part to reduce induction noise, but it should also allow some longer trumpets to be fitted.
Turns out a Triumph dolomite sprint airbox I had lurking is an ideal depth, as in gives just enough clearance to bodywork. However, I am concerned about overall dimensions.

What are the minimum sizes for (a) airbox volume and (b) trumpet to airbox, both at the face and around the edges?

Many thanks etc......

BenB

posted on 20/8/15 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Airbox size- double the engine swept capacity
Trumpets- minimum choke diameter from the top of the trumpet to the top of the airbox, from the edge of the trumpet to the edge of the airbox is less critical

Longer trumpets should give some better low down power but might reduce max bhp a little.

SPYDER

posted on 20/8/15 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
For inlet tract length JENVEYs website states:

A guide figure, from the face of the trumpet to the centre of the valve head is 350mm for a 9,000 RPM engine. Other RPM are proportional, i.e. for 18,000 RPM the figure is ca. 175mm.

So a (peak power) 7000 rpm engine should have an inlet length of 450mm, according to Jenvey themselves.

A few quick measurements on your setup should determine the ideal trumpet length.

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/8/15 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I saw that. Sadly the space is just not available!

I saw something about about only needing what seemed a small gap between trumpet and box, didn't seem right, choke size appears a reasonable idea.
Airbox volume should be OK too from my measurements and memory. Think I will give it a go.
Ta
Clive

BenB

posted on 23/8/15 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ultimately it depends whether you want an airbox which just didn't strangle your engine and rob power or whether you are looking to produce power at a specific rpm via a resonant system (which the Jenvey stuff is about).
cliftyhanger

posted on 23/8/15 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I want an airbox that will reduce induction noise and allow me to fit the longest trumpets without affecting airflow! Box depth is 95mm.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.