Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prop Wobbling like Crazy!
gingerprince

posted on 22/8/15 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Prop Wobbling like Crazy!

So a couple of months ago my prop snapped on the way to Le Mans caused by prop adaptor coming loose (bike engine). After eventually getting the car back in the country, and then getting my prop sorted by Dunning & Fairbank (new front section with stronger steel, new slider, new centre bearing etc) I've put it back together and gone for a short test drive. There was an odd knocking when setting off (not even particularly aggressively) so I've done some more investigation by way of video camera. 1st video in slowmo looking down at the prop in the tunnel here: -

And watching that in real time scared the bejesus out of me!! Second video is the same time but from a camera mounted near the engine looking rearward: -

You can see that it wobble like crazy in the rubber mounted centre bearing. Don't worry about the very bottom if this video where it looks to be offline, that' just one of the balance weights. When it wobbles though you can really see it moving in the centre bearing, and you can see the rear section of the prop moving too (the white bit as it's in light).

So the question is, what the blue buggery would cause such violent movement, and would you expect any movement there? Is it a combination of heavier grade prop and possibly "softer" rubber centre bearing? Is it alignment (which I can't do a great deal with, the engine is pretty much where MK designed it and the same in all). Is it something else? Everything is fastened securely, and when I turn the prop manually when up on axle stands all seems fine, it's just when under load.

Ideas please? I can't drive it as it is and it's sunny! (at the minute...)

Thanks

coozer

posted on 22/8/15 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Usually a wobble like that points to uj failure in service but as its new I would suspect the phase angle is all wrong.

I would send the videos to D n F and get on the phone to them.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mark chandler

posted on 22/8/15 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
It looks to me like it's coming from the front, is the prop adaptor true? Get a vid pointing at this.
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 22/8/15 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Props not too long now is it and compressing the slider to its limit. That would cause it to want to try to shorten itself by rotating out of square at the centre bearing.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 22/8/15 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
+1 prop adaptor gearbox end or prop too long for car or engine moving about ? Or output bearing worn in gearbox ?
britishtrident

posted on 22/8/15 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is the shaft is "whirling" because it is operating in the RPM range close to its critical frequency.
By making the shaft "stronger" I take it to mean they re-made the shaft the same diameter but using thicker wall thickness tubing, this may well have made the problem worse by increasing the mass of the shaft.

AS with most vibration issues the solution is to change the design to move critical frequency out of the operating rpm range.
The variables are the mass and length of the shaft relative to its' stiffness.

Looking at the videos I would make an educated guess that the long section of shaft is too long relative to its stiffness

On RWD road cars on poverty spec and vans models the manufacturers would use a single prop piece shaft made of large diameter but thin wall tube, on more powerful up market models a 2 piece small diameter shaft made of thicker wall tube would be used with each section of shaft fairly short.

[Edited on 22/8/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeR

posted on 22/8/15 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
When does it wobble? Acceleration, breaking cornering? I've no idea of the cause but the info could be useful.
kj

posted on 22/8/15 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was the same, check the nipple has been lubricated and the slider is not stuck. Mine shook the prop adapter loose n the way to a track day.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

ReMan

posted on 22/8/15 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Got a feeling the rubber centre is responsible and that could be "normal"

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

britishtrident

posted on 22/8/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
For 2" diameter 0.81" wall thickness shafts, the calculated critical speeds are.

Shaft Length Critical RPM
35" 11,800
40" 8,100
45" 6,400
50" 5,100
55" 4,200
60" 3,600
65" 3,070

Whirling will start a speed approaching critical speed and greatly increase in amplitude the closer the RPM approaches the critical speed..

How well the shaft is balanced is not a factor there will always be enough asymmetry, static deflection or out of balance mas for or vibration to trigger the phenomenon the amplitude and the frequency at which the resonance occurs is a function of the mechanical properties and dimensions of the shaft.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

gingerprince

posted on 22/8/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, quite a few different things to look at. Let's see.

Phasing - the phasing I believe is correct, it's certainly what it was previously i.e. yokes aligned as per this link: Linky Dinky

A couple more videos whilst it's up on stands (wheels and drums off so minimal load): -

When I blip there's minimal noticeable deflection (thought there is some when then wheels are on and there's a load there). Only thing I can really see is in the 1st video the front prop section looks to be slightly untrue at idle (but I recall similar in the old one and I didn't have the same symptoms). As it's been balanced (as had previous props) I can only assume it's actually in balance and maybe a feature of the angles?

Slider : I've removed the prop from the adaptor and there's still > 15mm of slider left so I don't think it's too long. Also slides freely. Makes sense though, really thought that was it!

Don't think there's any wear at the output. Certainly heavy "tugging" on the prop by then engine reveals no play at engine end.

Re the whirling/ critical frequency - is that likely at low speeds? The videos are at around 10-15mph. Fag packet calculations tell me rolling circumference of my 195/50R15 is about 1.75m, which is about 919 rotations per mile or 153 rotations per mile at 10mph. Depending on diff ration (not sure what mine is, but will be between 3.18 and 3.92) that's 5-600rpm at the prop so a long way from the x000 in those calculations?

mark chandler

posted on 23/8/15 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
My prop wobbles and shakes a lot more than that, as it's just when you pull away not when booting it down the road it could just be normal behaviour.

Has it got any marks where it's been hitting things, prop catcher perhaps?

gingerprince

posted on 23/8/15 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
My prop wobbles and shakes a lot more than that, as it's just when you pull away not when booting it down the road it could just be normal behaviour.

Has it got any marks where it's been hitting things, prop catcher perhaps?

Haven't tried it at speed, this low speed wobble has put the willies up me so want to understand the cause before I spank it Dont believe the prop is hitting anywhere, just the centre bearing moving to the extremes if the housing. Guess it's possible it used to do that with the old prop to a lesser extent but never had reason to watch the prop whilsy driving.

gingerprince

posted on 25/8/15 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
So I went for a short drive this afternoon after re-fitting both ends of the prop in case anything wasn't fastened down correctly (it was all fine).

Wobbling still present, but I got slightly braver and took it up to around 60mph, and it seems that once it gets past that initial shaking around 10-15mph it smooths out so might be OK at speed, but I'd want prop catchers just in case (I plan to make some anyway) and the issue at low speed still it not acceptable.

A bit more googling and I've come across this: -

Resonant whirling of two piece-propshafts in rear wheel drive cars

So it seems similar to the whirling that BT mentioned but the speeds didn't add up, but this describes whirling of a 2-piece prop under load at low speed (as well as lots of theory I don't really get!) I assume I'll probably get harmonics at different speeds too.

Long and the short of it, it seems that it is a combination of heavier prop (TRT rear which I've had a while, and stronger front section) and presumably less damping on the rubber mount, so only a redesign is going to sort this, and I've thrown a couple of hundred quid away on a strong but wobbly prop!

Going to ask D&F if there's a sturdier centre bearing they can do, otherwise I may just go back to basics and get a stock MK unit and put it down to experience

Oddified

posted on 25/8/15 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Diff flange and gearbox output/flange at the same angles? (ie, parallel to each other in all planes) or at least close, otherwise that can have the same effect as the uj's being out of phase and cause all sorts of vibrations and wobbles.

Ian

gingerprince

posted on 25/8/15 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
Diff flange and gearbox output/flange at the same angles? (ie, parallel to each other in all planes) or at least close, otherwise that can have the same effect as the uj's being out of phase and cause all sorts of vibrations and wobbles.

Ian

No, because in the MK the engine is at an angle to fit in - same with all bike engine MK's. However it's no different to how it was before the prop was modified, and it didn't whirl then. Think it's just heavier and less damped.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 25/8/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a TRT tube section?
Presence or absence of the TRT may make a difference? A worn TRT certainly will....

I too have had wobbles/noises/vibes at very low paddock speeds, but the operating environment on the track (and road to some extent) requires 10K+ rpm from the engine. No issues at speed.

Same happens with the current chain drive too, it'll slap and rattle at insensible speeds, but it's all fine at operating rpm.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.