Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blacktop or ST170
J90rdn

posted on 25/11/15 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, brake fluid isn't hydroscopic at all - it's just those darn scientists creating a conspiracy.
johnH20

posted on 25/11/15 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
For the benefit of those who have kindly replied to my 'off topic' contribution, I too would not take a needless risk for £20 but I am just curious about the science hence my question about evidence. I guess that only someone from Gates is really likely to know the answer.
J90rdn

posted on 25/11/15 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry John, my last comment was not aimed directly at you, more the previous post about conspiracy theories about oil changes etc, mainly because I've seen it times before.

It's a valid point you make. I had a J reg sierra (run out model) back in the day which I never bothered servicing or cam belt changes on - you can guess that it went pop, and was an interference engine (CVH I assume). Wasn't mega milage, and at the time wasn't that old, but it was passed it's time for a belt change by about a year if I recall, so my fault I guess. From that point on I've stuck to the schedule.

I guess regardless of the storage conditions, rubber will perish over time no matter what, and I imagine the stress the belt comes under means any degradation inevitably leads to failure.

mcerd1

posted on 25/11/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
^^ on the focus blacktops ford state the timing belt is every 100k or 10 years (whichever comes first) - but they also state "depending on how its been driven"

also I've seen other sources quote as low as 36k for a timing belt on these (i.e. about the same as most older engines)

when I got my 1.8 in the tin-top it had 79k on it and no records of any work so I just changed it strait away - the one that came off was a gates branded one (rather than motorcraft branded, although I'm fairly sure they are all made by gates) so one of the previous owners obviously didn't believe the 100k or 10 years either

ps - I loved my 1.8 blacktop in the focus, its such a revvy willing engine in stock form - it made me want to use all the power it had all the time
(although probably not powerful enough for the OP's plans)

[Edited on 25/11/2015 by mcerd1]

-

kingster996

posted on 25/11/15 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
Slightly off topic but why do people think that 'unused' cambelts on crate engines need replacing? They have seen no dynamic stress, only a modest static load, and live in a dark ( no UV ) oil free environment. Not much different to the replacement you might buy that has been on the parts shelf for years. Just interested if anyone has got any evidence on this.

My cambelt had maybe done 5-10k miles - BUT was 10yrs old. I thought about changing it when I was swapping out the oil pump, but as it had done so few miles I left it.

It snapped.

Belts should be changed every XX,000 miles or 10yrs I am led to believe - and wish I'd realised that earlier!

You learn by your mistakes and I will be changing the belt when i get a crate Zetec soon.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

johnH20

posted on 26/11/15 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Well kingster997 I asked for evidence and you have provided it! I am in much the same position as you were so not wishing to repeat your experience I will change it this winter. As it happens I have just found an unused cambelt in the back of my cupboard that must be approaching 10 years old. I think I will bin it! ( Still don't understand the science though, the cords do the work, the rubber just holds them together. )
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.