Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Pulley Grooves Quandary
Dick Axtell

posted on 24/11/15 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec Pulley Grooves Quandary

G'day LCB-ers! Especially those who have installed a Silvertop version Zetec.

In preparing to fit the smaller Denso alternator, I have fitted a Retro-Ford kit, which was specifically for the silvertop. I noted that the drive belt, which came with the kit, has 5 ribs, which suggests that it should fit into a 5-grooved pulley.

Braving the freezing weather, I went to my lock-up, to collect a few tools, and checked the existing water-pump and crankshaft pulleys on my engine. They have 6 grooves! I suspect that if I tried running the 5-rib belt on these pulleys, there would be a few problems? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Are the rubber belt ribs same size for both belt versions?

I know the simple solution will be to buy a new 6-ribbed belt (which I probably will do, but...).

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

loggyboy

posted on 24/11/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Its quite normal to have spare ribs on pulleys even on production cars.

Mistral Motorsport

GRBBONGO

posted on 24/11/15 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Its not a problem. I had similar on my recent blacktop install. As long as the alternator pulley is mounted in line with the other pulleys it doesnt matter as long as the belt is running parralell to the grooves. I have a 5 rib belt and i have two spre grooves on the crank pulley and one ont the retro ford pulley.
As i said, as long as the belt is running in line it will be ok!

Slater

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, my belt is 5 ribs and pulley is 6 ribs, no problem at all, rib spacing is the same.

I have a Silvertop 1.8 Zetec

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Dick Axtell

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Guys thanks for your feedback, and the reassurance. All I have to do now, is to change over the alternator pulleys. Which takes some doing, dunno what the original tightening torque was, but haven't shifted it so far.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

loggyboy

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
Guys thanks for your feedback, and the reassurance. All I have to do now, is to change over the alternator pulleys. Which takes some doing, dunno what the original tightening torque was, but haven't shifted it so far.

Not reverse thread is it?

Mistral Motorsport

Paul Turner

posted on 24/11/15 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
All I have to do now, is to change over the alternator pulleys. Which takes some doing, dunno what the original tightening torque was, but haven't shifted it so far.

Pulley in vice, beautiful assistant to hold alternator and long bar on bolt. Has worked for me a few times.

Failing that rattle gun instead of long bar has always worked.

DJT

posted on 24/11/15 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've only got a 5 rib on the Denso with a Zetec black top. Works fine. Also gives you some choice for getting the best alignment.

To clamp the pulley for removal I've wrapped an old ribbed belt around it before putting it in the vice (to protect the pulley in case of need to re use).

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.