Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: need abit help on my gbs build zetec
bodyrepairsjon

posted on 1/2/16 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
need abit help on my gbs build zetec

Putting a 2ltr zetec into my gbs zero on throttle boddies, can i modifie standard sump and what ecu can i use thanks jon

J donaldson

AndyW

posted on 1/2/16 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
You can modify the standard sump, and pick up pipe easily. With regards to ecu there are several choices. I used the oem ecu but others with throttle bodies have used omex, emerald, etc but they will need mapping to get running right.

Which throttle bodies are you using?

P.s welcome to the forum, if you put your location in your profile there could be someone local to help.

[Edited on 1/2/16 by AndyW]

big_wasa

posted on 1/2/16 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a late blacktop then you will need a steel oil pick up pipe as it will be plastic.

Lots of options on the electrics depending on expected power, skill and cost.

bodyrepairsjon

posted on 1/2/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
id love to get around 180 - 190 bhp. im buying a new engine for £850
got around 1200 to spend on other bits ecu throttle boddies. mayb abit more if needed

J donaldson

big_wasa

posted on 1/2/16 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Your not getting 190 from a crate engine with 1200 quid I am afraid.

On top of throttle bodies and an ecu that will swollow the above you will need a descent exhaust a ported head and a set of cams. Plus mapping.

165 maybe 170 depending on the dyno is tops with out head work and cams or forced induction.

A crate engine will have a plastic oil pick up.

Adamirish

posted on 1/2/16 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
As big wasa says, if you can buy and set up a set of throttle bodies for £1200 then I'll have some too! you will be able to do it with a set of bike tb's but not omex, jenvey, weber etc.

A decent omex or emerald ecu will be around £600 plus the loom. A bolt on set of omex 45's with ecu, inlet manifold and loom is around £2000. Finding them or jenveys second hand is difficult.

165-175bhp is the norm on a stock 2.0 on tb's. You can play with the stock cam timing and maybe squeeze a couple of extra bhp but not enough to reach 190bhp.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

bodyrepairsjon

posted on 1/2/16 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
ok mate thanks for info. i mite have to go down the turbo route. give me more hp.

J donaldson

Adamirish

posted on 1/2/16 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bodyrepairsjon
ok mate thanks for info. i mite have to go down the turbo route. give me more hp.

If you do decide to go the turbo route then big wasa is the man to talk to.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

AndyW

posted on 2/2/16 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I'm half way through turbo'ing mine, and the conversion from standard to turbo will b cheaper than going throttle bodies and ecu route.
big_wasa

posted on 2/2/16 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
My enjoyment is "Locost" hands on reycling and upcycling of parts.
This is not a fashionable way to build these days.

Other people get there kick out of driving the car and building is a means to an ends.

My project isn't proven so I won't say you should do it this way or that. But if you decide to go forced induction speak to Bailey performance. He has mapped a few base spec engines upto the universally agreed limit for stock rods or pistons of around 250bhp.
A well mapped 220bhp should give a safe reliable and very rapid 7.

There is a zt powered Avon on here with some interesting upcycled and full custom parts producing what many would see as daft power in a 7. Have butchers.

I can see the advantage of a new engine but used ones can be had for £50+ making them disposable.

There are other engine choices that will give you that power out of the box.

bodyrepairsjon

posted on 2/2/16 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
got my engine went for a used 1. wat turbo and manifold are people using and injectors. thanks jon

J donaldson

big_wasa

posted on 3/2/16 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
My engine is based on a Focus Rs. Running the Rs ecu and everything.

Its a hybrid st/zetec running as many Rs bits as I can get cheap.
I am struggling to find a Gt25 turbo so I will use a Subaru tdo4. These are good solid reliable turbocharger's for modest out puts. You can buy a 10mm flange on eBay for around a tenner. I've welded this onto a cheap stainless Rs gt25 manifold. I've also seen this flange welded onto the standard late black top manifold.

Injectors. The mk1 Rs comes with 440cc and is good to a stage one tune of around 265bhp. A Newage Subaru wrx also comes with 440cc . Theses are very cheap.

[Edited on 3/2/16 by big_wasa]

bodyrepairsjon

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
looks good mate thats wat im gona do. got turbo sorted just need to find manifold

J donaldson

AndyW

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using the genuine RS injectors. GBS have them in stock but not many sets left. GBS are the only place I think that has them as they bought up the old ford stock.

Manifold you can make your own or I got one from Ford Focus Mondeo 2.0l Top Mount Turbo Exhaust Manifold

Mine was fine except the flange was not perfectly straight. Got a local engineering place to straighten it and the company refunded me the cost.

If you are going down the oem route the ecu code is 6MYD and you will need this and the matching keys, which are getting hard to find.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I would have uploaded my pictures of my turbo build but my laptop died and I lost all my info on it

bodyrepairsjon

posted on 4/2/16 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
do the mk1 focus rs exhaust manifolds fit the black zetecs just found a stainless tubular rs manifold didnt no if it would fit.thanks

J donaldson

big_wasa

posted on 4/2/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Yep that's what's in the picture above, modified with a td04 flange.

The ones on ebay are made by Direnza or somthing. People have used them for a couple of years with out them cracking.
Be aware it's going to put the turbo right upto the bulk head on a 7.

What turbo are you using ?

bodyrepairsjon

posted on 4/2/16 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
was goin to use an impreza 1. got my engine sat in but standard plastic inlet mani isnt goin to fit and chassis bar in way think il have to get a single plenium one off kit spares.wat have you got on yours mate

J donaldson

big_wasa

posted on 4/2/16 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just sold one of them. I've done the 7 thing and I am now working on a mid engine 7 esq called a Midlana.

So I can use all the fwd bits from a focus Rs and that's just a tuned blacktop.

big_wasa

posted on 4/2/16 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
You could ask "Jossey" for some info on his Avon.

Mapped by Bailey performance. Not my photos to publish but here is one from a post.

[img]http://s938.photobucket.com/user/josseys/media/Kitcar/F8D85863-C51B-42F1-BD3A-3C4D1A72C728_zpspgq1u2nk.jpg.html[/img]

[Edited on 4/2/16 by big_wasa]

bodyrepairsjon

posted on 4/2/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
wat flywheel are people using with type 9 box? thanks

J donaldson

big_wasa

posted on 5/2/16 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
Standard 1800cc zetec 220mm is budget flywheel of choice but the standard mondeo clutch won't hold the torque of a turbo for long.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.