Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 or not?
AndyGT

posted on 9/2/16 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 or not?

Some of you may have noticed that whilst driving in France "every car" is a Renault, Peugeot or Citroen so sourcing Ford parts is a small nightmare. Anyway, recently found someone selling a gearbox, prop and clutch etc for a reasonable price but is almost a 2 hour drive. So would like to confirm if this box is a Type-9 and correct to mount onto an XE engine with appropriate bellhousing...

I realise my problem will be the electronic speedo signal rather than cable for my application. It is from a sierra 1.8TD if that helps...

Thanks a lot for confirmations or contrary if I am wrong!
Andy

Type 9 internal bellhousing

Description
Description

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 9/2/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a type 9 to me

But I can't remember if the 1.8 diesel had a long or short input shaft or which ratios were in them...

If your bellhousing/adapter needs a short input shaft then you can get a spacer to go between it and the box, but obviously this is an added cost...

-

Paul Turner

posted on 9/2/16 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
The N/A diesels all had long input shafts and I pretty sure the Turbo diesel was the same. This means you will need the special XE to long input bellhousing and cut about 10mm from the end of the input shaft otherwise the shaft will hit the end of the spigot hole in the crank before the bellhousing is bolted. Found this out when I helped a mate with his XE.

But that is where the good news ends. All diesel boxes have truly horrid ratios and the torque of the diesel engines tends to wear the boxes out much faster, I have yet to see a reclaimed diesel box in good condition. the ratios will wreck your driving experience.

Your only option is to get the box to either BGH or preferably SPC and get the box overhauled with a set of decent ratio's.

nick205

posted on 9/2/16 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a type 9 g/box to me, but as above, IIRC diesel type 9s have different gearing and or construction to petrol ones. You may get around this with a certain ratio diff, but that may add to your cost and difficulty in getting parts.

BenBrooks

posted on 9/2/16 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
The turbo diesel does have a longer input shaft which can be cut down easily enough. However, the splined section on the input shaft is shorter than on a standard type 9 so you'll have to work out where the splined bit sits in the engine if that makes sense? I don't know about the vauxhall engine so no help there I'm afraid.

But, turbo diesel engines have the same ratios as standard petrol engines so a 3.65:1 first gear ratio, unlike normal diesel engines which are 3.9:1 first gear. If you have any reason to doubt the seller, testing the ratios is easy enough by putting the gearbox in first and counting how many input shaft turns you get to one output shaft turn. Doesn't need to be precise, but just over 3.5 is good, and just over 4 is bad.

Also, was your post implying that you do need a cable speedo? Because that gearbox does have a cable speedo...

[Edited on 9/2/16 by BenBrooks]

johnemms

posted on 9/2/16 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Rear bush & seal - to go with your new propshaft FORD TYPE 9 GEARBOX TAIL HOUSING BUSH & REAR OIL SEAL KIT

[Edited on 9/2/16 by johnemms]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

garyt

posted on 9/2/16 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
cant help with the box id and suitability but strangely enough (don't ask why) I have a new in packet;
"revotec, T9-A , ford type 9 gearbox adaptor for brantz type electronic speed sensor"
goes in where the cable speedo drive goes and then takes a sensor, sorry but beyond that I cant help, but if it means you can change mechanical to electronic speedo, you are welcome to it
Gary

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

nick205

posted on 9/2/16 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
With regards to a speedo and cable drive I cut the cable off my Type 9 and fitted an electric speedo using 2x small magnets glued to the diff input and a sensor on an ally bracket. I had to calibrate the speedo, but it was easy to do and so much better than having to faff around with cable drives.

AndyGT

posted on 9/2/16 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Looks like a type 9 g/box to me, but as above, IIRC diesel type 9s have different gearing and or construction to petrol ones. You may get around this with a certain ratio diff, but that may add to your cost and difficulty in getting parts.

Yep what I had been thinking but also thought how bad would it be with a 3.67 diff and bigger wheels? 14 or 15 inch?

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.