Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy pinto and gearing
mkindypaul

posted on 23/8/16 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
God it's a nightmare, I don't think there is going to be any definitive answer it needs a 3:6 and 3:9 to test. The track we used it on was a short track with just one longish straight and I only put it into 4th for a short period of time and this was from 3rd at about 6200ish rpm so maybe I was wrong and the 3:6 would be the most practical answer, that way I don't destroy first with such a short diff as a 3:9 and I also bring the speed down enough with the 3:6 to the point where I needed 4th the engine is gonna be revving harder so once slotted into 4th it's more into the revs and power band.
JimSpencer

posted on 23/8/16 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
You answered the question in Post 1 really, as you're running it as a track car cruising ability is irrelevant, so you're looking at the following scenario:-

On the longest straight you're ever likely to see you should want to hit the rev limiter in 5th just before you get to the point of hitting the brakes
Or
Around the same point the car hits the aero wall - yes?

Even with a 3.9 in it, you'll not do that you'll either run out of straight well before it gets to the red line or it'll hit the aero wall - either way out of the choice of a 3.6 or a 3.9 it'll certainly be the latter.

HTH

mkindypaul

posted on 23/8/16 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hell Jim,

Basically yes I think it hit the aerodynamic wall in 4th and with the straight not being massively long I ran out of road to pull through but with more power I'm sure it would of done so. some people reccomend the 3:6 and some say 3:9 so it's confusing. I may just get the 3:9 crown wheel and pinion off mcerd1 and fit that to my current diff and just take it to a track day at the same one as I used last time, I mean fitting the 3:9 shouldn't hamper the day should it ? Won't be to much that we can't use it

Mcerd1,

Would you be able to remove the crown wheel and pinion to save posting such a bulky item as I don't think I'll use anything else from the unit itself ?

[Edited on 23/8/16 by mkindypaul]

Adamirish

posted on 23/8/16 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mkindypaul
@adamirish

What wheel and tyres size do you run ?

15x6 wheels. 195/50-15 tyres.

A 3.9 diff would do you well. I very much doubt you would use 1st gear much anyway and you would be into 4th well before 100mph. Even if you had a long enough straight to be flat out in 4th, you still have another gear. At a rough guess with a 3.92 on a standard type 9, flat in 5th is likely to be around 150mph. With the best will in the world, anything under 250bhp in a seven is going to struggle to get there simple because the aerodynamics of a 7 are similar to a breeze block!

I do believe there is also a rare 4.1 ratio diff too. Cruising ability would be crap but for track work it would be close to ideal! If I could change gearbox and diff ratios cheap enough, I would aim for flat out in top to be a theoretical 130mph ish. I don't have the £3k+ to do that though.

Edited to add, with my 3.62 and 15" wheels, at an indicated 70mph it's doing just over 3000rpm. My rev limit is set to 6800(engine built for 7.5k though) so with my gearing it's geared for around 160mph. It's a good job it's theoretical as There is no way I would want to sit in a 7 at those speeds!!

[Edited on 23/8/16 by Adamirish]

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

mkindypaul

posted on 23/8/16 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the help guys I think I'm gonna go 3:9 route first and see how we get on, I just have one other question though as I've read on here you can't get a 7" push in shaft lsd diff ? Mine is 7" with push in shafts and on the first page I put a pic up with the back off?
mcerd1

posted on 23/8/16 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've read on here you can't get a 7" push in shaft lsd diff ?

you can't get an OE ford LSD with push-in shafts - but you can get any of the aftermarket LSD's

-

mkindypaul

posted on 23/8/16 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
I've read on here you can't get a 7" push in shaft lsd diff ?

you can't get an OE ford LSD with push-in shafts - but you can get any of the aftermarket LSD's

Wonder what mine is then ??

CosKev3

posted on 23/8/16 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks after market judging by the difference in materials?

Google the numbers on it

If you can fit 13 inch wheels over your brakes these make for much better track driving than 15's,and you can use the smaller wheels to alter your gearing too.

mcerd1

posted on 23/8/16 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
^^ my pics above are fords bog standard open diff - so yours looks like an aftermarket of some kind...

doesn't quite look like a tranX one either:
Tranx fitted 1
Tranx fitted 1

or a quaife atb:

some googling throws up some pics of supposed ZF plated diffs - but they aren't that common (no longer in production) and I don't know much about them, but I believe they are still quite sought after by some folk

I'm sure someone else will know exactly what it is...

[Edited on 23/8/2016 by mcerd1]

-

mkindypaul

posted on 23/8/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
My bro googled the last lot of numbers with the s25 and the quaiffe website came up but that's as far as we got, maybe it's a discontinued version either way it's in perfect working order and fits lol
mkindypaul

posted on 23/8/16 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mcerd1 & nickP

Looks like it's a zf Motorsport plated lsd diff, quite a capable unit by all accounts

Mcerd1, did you get my message about your 3:9 bits and if needed whether you'd mind splitting them because I only really need the cw&p

[Edited on 23/8/16 by mkindypaul]

mcerd1

posted on 23/8/16 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Mcerd1, did you get my message about your 3:9 bits and if needed whether you'd mind splitting them because I only really need the cw&p

did you send a u2u ? (I didn't get one)

I can probably split it, but I'm a bit short of time at the moment (got a new baby due to arrive in a few weeks time) so can't guarantee how long it'll take me to do it...

[Edited on 23/8/2016 by mcerd1]

-

Nickp

posted on 24/8/16 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
As discussed here's a pic of my 3.9 Quaife LSD innards. It's got 26 spline push in shafts. U2U me if you want to go ahead.

mcerd1

posted on 29/8/16 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
here's the current state of my spare one:

obviously could do with a clean, not sure when I'll get a chance to split it though

drop me a u2u if your interested

-

mkindypaul

posted on 29/8/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate I'll message you if I need it.
mkindypaul

posted on 2/3/17 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Well it's been a while I know but I've had the diff changed from a 3:38 to a 3:92 by road and race transmissions which was a really good hastle free turn around by them, all installed today so fingers crossed at the next track day we notice a difference
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 2/3/17 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
If it's just for track days then I would fit a 3.9 ratio if you do some road / motorways then 3.6 would be best as said 7s aero is a big issue so the lower gearing will help to get the most out of it
snapper

posted on 2/3/17 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I run a 3.9 all the time and it's a good diff for a mid power Pinto
I have a high power Pinto and the higher rev limit makes the ratios feel closer.
I run a V6 type 9 which has slightly higher 1st and longer 2nd & 3rd
But still not ideal
If I had a 2.7 1st that would be ideal for road and track

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mcerd1

posted on 3/3/17 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I run a 3.9 all the time and it's a good diff for a mid power Pinto
I have a high power Pinto and the higher rev limit makes the ratios feel closer.
I run a V6 type 9 which has slightly higher 1st and longer 2nd & 3rd
But still not ideal
If I had a 2.7 1st that would be ideal for road and track

I really hope my 3.92 is the right choice for me too (probably more road than track for me)

I've got a 2.66 1st gear & 1.75 2nd - but also silly big 245/45 R16 tyres on the back

which pretty much makes my 3.92 diff with the big tyres more like a 3.62 with more normal size 195/50 R15's tyres....

-

mkindypaul

posted on 28/4/17 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well did my first track day of the year in the Indy today after changing the diff ratio to a 3.92 and all I can say is jesus what a difference, its like a completely different car. Flys up the box now constantly in the power band so thanks to everyone for all your help and info on here.

[Edited on 28/4/17 by mkindypaul]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 28/4/17 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I ran a 3.9 ratio in my striker with a Toyota 4age and I found it the best ratio when it comes to a car which is going to be used for trackdays more than a cruiser . I've done trackdays at Abingdon for years and that was the ratio which I found best suited.
snapper

posted on 29/4/17 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
You'll soon be looking for a higher 1st gear trust me

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mkindypaul

posted on 30/4/17 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
You'll soon be looking for a higher 1st gear trust me

yeah a gearbox with different ratios has been spoken about already ha ha

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.