Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best V8 exhaust configuration for a deep burble sound
r1_pete

posted on 10/3/17 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Best V8 exhaust configuration for a deep burble sound

One of the reasons for putting the V8 in my 944 is to get the bassy burble.

Ive read many conflicting views regarding the best exhaust config to acheive the legendary sound:

Two individual systems, one for each bank

Two systems with link pipe

Two systems with an X link

Its all in the manifold design...

I'll be buildind 4-2-1 headers, but can anyone advise which system woul give the best sound? Or if 4-1 headers would be better??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 10/3/17 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
18436572 left, right, right, left, right, left, left, right

IMHO for the best sound when In the driving seat you need decent size seperate systems say 2", bring them close together after the flywheel with a balance pipe 2/3 the size size of the main pipes maybe 3" long.

You get the distinctive burble as the majority of the exhaust follows its own route with the other side underlaid.

An X join just makes it all one system, no link pipe sounds rubbish unless your head is between the two pipes, stand to one side and you only hear that side.

Nothing really to do with the manifold design, link pipe obviously after the 4:2:1 in your case.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 10/3/17 by mark chandler]

rf900rush

posted on 11/3/17 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is more the engine than the exhaust.

I swapped my (Range) rover engine to a 350 Chevy.
I had the same twin stainless exhaust system on both but completely different sound.

The Rover 3.5 had a engine nice mild TVR sound, the Chevy had that American V8 sound.

On this note, I now want my old Range rover back again

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 11/3/17 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Comes purely from the firing order and exhaust design. Of course the exhaust sized for one engine won't sound the same as the same exhaust on a different sized one due to mass flows being different.

Irony

posted on 11/3/17 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Cherry Bomb.
r1_pete

posted on 11/3/17 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all, so a crossover and twin cherry bombs, see if I can get some stainless ones....
mark chandler

posted on 11/3/17 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
No, not a cross over that will ruin it!

A smaller diameter (2/3 of the main pipes) balance pipe 1/4 - 1/3 of the way back, it needs to plug in a right angles to the main tubes making an H, ideally 2-3" long. Like this you may also pick up a couple of HP as well.

Regards Mark

r1_pete

posted on 11/3/17 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Oops yeah, link pipe, I knew what I meant
coozer

posted on 11/3/17 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I was just going to put the 421 each side with a straight through silencer....

That's cause I was slavering over a gt40 with a beauty pair of stainless ones.. 4 into one up and over with small shiny silencers pointing down and out the back...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coyoteboy

posted on 12/3/17 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Best performance comes from eliminating the nice burble. Much the same as with Subarus.

Bundle 'o' snakes, done properly, not much burble

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.