Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Zetec Cooling - i give up!!
ttalps2000

posted on 31/10/17 at 01:20 PM
Zetec Cooling - i give up!!

Right! Been trying to find a cooling system layout for a silvertop Zetec, using a heater that appears to work fine. However there seems to be millions of versions out there of what is right and wrong!

Can anyone advise which is the best version to use please?

I am using a header tank and not using a water rail. Heater also fitted.

Thank you

stevebubs

posted on 31/10/17 at 01:29 PM
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=177349

This is pretty much the same layout I put in place 13 years ago...

[Edited on 31/10/17 by stevebubs]

loggyboy

posted on 31/10/17 at 01:30 PM

Heater taps in to the back of the thermo (not shown but its there) and its return is tee'd on to header supply.

[Edited on 31-10-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

stevebubs

posted on 31/10/17 at 01:33 PM
Yup - the above is the same as mine. However I just have a manual bleed screw in the Radiator, no pipe from the rad to the header tank.
ttalps2000

posted on 31/10/17 at 01:36 PM
where is the best place to plumb the heater into? I cant put a bleed pipe in the top of the rad as it is a plastic Polo rad. So take it off the top hose instead?
coozer

posted on 31/10/17 at 03:03 PM
Heater runs out of the back of the thermo housing and returns into the bypass hose. That's the oem setup.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jossey

posted on 31/10/17 at 09:07 PM
Mine is same as the pic but without a bleed on the rad. My issue was caused by expansion tank filling up full. Been fine since new bigger tank.

Get the expansion tank high a possible or it won't bleed

[Edited on 31/10/17 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ttalps2000

posted on 1/11/17 at 01:15 PM
cheers for all the help, will get it sorted shortly!
ttalps2000

posted on 5/12/17 at 08:43 AM
I have done the cooling as per Loggyboy's image. However when I turn the engine off I get some gurgling now! Appear to have all the air out, but the header tank does fill up when running!

Do I need a bigger header tank or still got air in the system? I'm going to raise up the header tank as much as possible tonight too.

I have T'd the heater return and header and the bypass all into 1 feed into the bottom hose. Should I have 2 separate ones really? Cant see it is going to make any difference though!

Also I'm not running the rad bypass as the rad doesn't have one, is this an issue?

Thanks

Paul Turner

posted on 5/12/17 at 08:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
I have done the cooling as per THE THIEF@S image. However when I turn the engine off I get some gurgling now! Appear to have all the air out, but the header tank does fill up when running!

Do I need a bigger header tank or still got air in the system? I'm going to raise up the header tank as much as possible tonight too.

I have T'd the heater return and header and the bypass all into 1 feed into the bottom hose. Should I have 2 separate ones really? Cant see it is going to make any difference though!

Also I'm not running the rad bypass as the rad doesn't have one, is this an issue?

Thanks

Well I drew the image and that is exactly as mine is plumbed. The heater (iff fitted) is plumbed into the stat housing, a tee piece is required for the bypass hose end.

If you are not running a bypass it will not work correctly.

So why say I have done the cooling as per image when you haven't

ttalps2000

posted on 5/12/17 at 10:07 AM
the only thing that is not as per the image is the rad top bypass back to the top of the tank. However several users have stated they do not run one with no issues anyway! so was simply asking what it does and does it matter and also that the main bypass, expansion tank and heater are all run into 1 connection to the bottom hose.
jossey

posted on 5/12/17 at 09:17 PM
So is the cooling issue solved?

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.