Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine sumpbox modifications
Hoopyfrood999

posted on 23/10/02 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Engine sumpbox modifications

I've purchased a part built Locost with a Sierra DOHC 2.0 engine. But, the original builder made a small modification.

According to him, he's cut off "round about 1/2 inch" (quote, unquote) off the sump box in order to fit it in the chassis without modifing the line between the scuttle and the nose cone. So

1) Am I being a bit paraniod by thinking this sounds a bit dodgy?
2) Will the oil capasity of the engine need altering?
3) Will this have any adverse effect on the oil pump?

Can anybody think of anything else that might be an issue?

geoff shep

posted on 23/10/02 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Shortened sump

These engines are quite tall - either the sump sticks out the bottom and gets clonked or the carb/ rocker/cam cover sticks out the top.

Sumps are often shortened or short alloy sumps can be found. In either case, to keep the same volume of oil available the shorter sump needs to be wider somewhere.

The engine would probably be ok on slightly less oil than the standard volume so long as there's enough to supply all the oilways and keep the pick-up pipe covered - what quantity that would be I would not like to guess at - and you would have to re-calibrate your dipstick!

PaulBuz

posted on 24/10/02 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
chopped sump

Hi
the chap before you has done what I did to my engine(DOHC 8v sierra)
He sounds like he's removed the bottom bolt holes for the bell housing as well
As the post above said the main issue will be to make sure that the oil pick up pipe in the sump is always immersed in oil.
How much space is there between the new sump base & the pick up pipe?
Although the sump capacity may well be ok to feed all the engine internals whilst the car has no inertial loads on it, you need to think what will happen under heavy acc/braking & cornering.
I'm going to make some type of sump baffle affair for my car & also fit an oil cooler to restore/increase the oil capacity
This will also give the added benifit of extra cooling, which can't be a bad thing with these engines! (head warpage etc.)
Hope this helps!

JohnFol

posted on 25/10/02 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I am considering shortening the sump. Logic is it means I can position the engine lower in the chassis, giving lower centre of gravity. I like the idea of an oil cooler, but have not found a supplier for a ford x-flow.

Anyone heard of one?

Stu16v

posted on 25/10/02 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
The oil cooler adaptation is no problem. Just ring nearly any of the race-parts suppliers who will sort you with your requirements. Kits use an adapter that screws between the oil filter and housing, diverting the oil around the cooler.
Tip, always have the entrance/exit pipes of the oil cooler as the highest point, i.e. the pipes come out of the top of the cooler, otherwise the oil will drain out of it and the engine will have to fill it up before oil pressure is built up.

[Edited on 25/10/02 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

Hoopyfrood999

posted on 27/10/02 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
OK - but what if ?!?

OK, looks like I'll fit an oil cooler to increase the oil capasity of the engine.

I assume the return from the cooler passes the oil back into the sump box so that it can be picked up again by the pump via the feed pipe.

Q) - Am I being dumb here, but if this assumption is correct (I'm not an expert on engines) then would it not be better to fit the return directly to the feeed pipe, therefore ensuring that the engine doesn't suffer from oil surge.

Stu16v

posted on 28/10/02 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, most coolers work by routing the oil thats pumped around the engine through the cooler first, so the oil temp is reduced before it gets to work on the bits where it is needed most, if you get my drift.
HTH Stu

Dont just build it.....make it!

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/10/02 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have finished my chassis all bar the suspension brackets, but I still hanent got my donor car (I do have a Capri 2.0 S rear axle)I have narowed the choice down to a sierra 2.0 DOHC or a 1.8 CVH. What I need to know is what ground clearance is acceptable under the sump? and how much do I chop out of the sump?Knowing the chassis ground clearance of a finished car would also be a help!

Where did the owners of DOHC cars put the alternator, it seems to be a long way extended to the right of the car

thanks

Mark

Mark Allanson

posted on 30/10/02 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I measured a CVH at work, it is roughly 24" tall, allowing 1" below the bottom rails, 13" of chassis, leaves 10" of engine above the top rails less what I cut from the sump. Does this seem reasonable?

What is the measurement of the nosecone rear upper edge to the top rails? (I still havent bought my GRP yet!

Thanks
Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.