Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine age for CAT test exemption
Liam

posted on 23/10/02 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Engine age for CAT test exemption

Hello,

The engine age/emmissions test part of the SVA has always been a bit of a grey area for me, and an area of concern cos I'm using a fairly modern engine. I've just been looking at the PDF version of the 2000 SVA manual to try and clarify the matter...

I hate trying to understand formally worded government documents, so I thought I'd see if any of you had anything to add.

As far as I can see, it doesn't specifically mention cats, but it does say that 'passenger cars' with an effective date on or after 1 August '92, and any other vehicle with an effective date on or after 1 August '94 have to pass an extra series of emmissions tests (CO, lambda etc). I assume these are the cat tests - or rather emissions tests you will most likely fail without a cat.

But are Locosts 'passenger cars' or just 'any other vehicle'? I think we are 'Amateur built vehicles' but are we also 'passenger cars' or is that just for taxis or something?

At any rate, I think I should be OK because my donor car (engine donor only - running gear is from another) was first registered on 1 October 1991 and I have the log book. If I'm right, does this mean my 'effective date' is 1 January 1991 - cos I think it said somewhere your effective date is the 1 Jan immediately preceding the vehicles registration date. Is this right?

However, something that might throw a spanner in the works although it isn't mentioned in the manual as far as I can see, is the fact that my engine donor car actually did have a cat. Obviously they were optional at this time, and my car had one. Does this mean I have to pass the cat emmissions tests? I can't see anything that says I will and I cant see how the inspector would know whether my donor car had an optional cat or not (especially since I'm removing a load of other cat related emmissions gubbins from the engine), but I just worry about these things.

Can anyone who has maybe looked into this in detail further enlighten me? Should I just trust what I read (or think i read) in the manual?

Cheers,

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macca

posted on 23/10/02 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Liam, I wouldn't worry about it as the year it became law was 96 so you are fine.This has been discussed before approx 2 pages back.
Col.

Liam

posted on 23/10/02 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yipee! Not that I just want to harm the environment or anything - there's just absolutely no bloody room anywhere in my car for a cat. Or rather two of them unless I join my exhausts!

Cheers,

Liam

P.S. I did try the search function but it didn't come up with much - I'll look manually.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StuartA

posted on 26/10/02 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Just for extra info, make sure you take the log book of the donor to the SVA test. If you can't prove the age of the engine to the inspector they will test emissions as if it is a brand new car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.