Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: drysump on pinto
mooselogic

posted on 24/10/02 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
drysump on pinto

anyone used or currently moding their pinto to take a drysump... and how much hieght will this remove from the engine????
Jon Ison

posted on 25/10/02 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
ran a dry sump on an atmo cosworth, (same block) the sump was about 2 1/2" deep, trouble was it threw a belt and i lost the bottom end...... would,nt use one again......
without trying to wee you off, for the cost of a dry sump you could fit lighter "lower engine anyway......and if your going 2nd hand beware, as it come off an engine that as "blown" the pump could be full nasty bits if it as.....

just my thoughts..........

James

posted on 28/10/02 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
ran a dry sump on an atmo cosworth, (same block) the sump was about 2 1/2" deep, trouble was it threw a belt and i lost the bottom end...... would,nt use one again......
without trying to wee you off, for the cost of a dry sump you could fit lighter "lower engine anyway......and if your going 2nd hand beware, as it come off an engine that as "blown" the pump could be full nasty bits if it as.....

WTF? I realise I have about a much mechanical knowledge as a concussed bee but this post leads me to the question:
You been drinking Jon?

Or maybe one too many high speed runs has warped you mind or something?

Or maybe (and more likely) I'm just being really thick!

Cheers,

James

interestedparty

posted on 28/10/02 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Jon's post seems OK to me. Dry sump systems have an external belt driven pump, if the belt fails the pump stops with the result of no oil pressure, engine siezes.

If on the other hand an engine should blow up (belt is OK) then some of the swarf produced will end up in the oil pump and severely damage it

Dry sump is hardly worth the trouble on a Locost as it's the depth of the bellhousing that is the problem

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

mooselogic

posted on 28/10/02 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just tryin to find out whats going to work and whats not... Don't want to go steaming into something thats not going to work and cost me a fortune in the long run. a mate used to build race cars and he used drysumps, in talking to him i thought a drysump might be pos.

interestedparty

posted on 28/10/02 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Dry sumping is used on race cars because of the high lateral g forces during cornering. Problem with a wet sump system is all the oil piles up on one side or other, and the ol pickup can run dry. Dry sumping is more reliable, as long as the belt doesn't break!

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.