Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel lines
bsilly

posted on 28/10/02 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
fuel lines

now ready for fuel lines, could i use 10mm rubber from tank through tunnel to pump or should middle section be metal? any ideas

mainly digger drivin me

David Jenkins

posted on 28/10/02 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever takes your fancy!

If you read the book by Carroll Smith, the racing car designer/builder, he won't have any metal tube 'cos it may fracture. Others won't have copper pipe because it's supposed to get filled with gunge.

It truth, in a road car, use whatever is appropriate to your build - metal tube is unlikely to fracture outside of a race car (and many people use it), and from the little research I've done, copper pipe only gunges up if you continuously use really poor quality petrol with too much sulphur in it (which you won't find in the UK, unless you're VERY unlucky).

I've used 8mm i.d. rubber fuel hose on my car, simply because it was easier to fit it down the tunnel with the engine and gearbox fitted!

cheers,

David

bsilly

posted on 28/10/02 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
thats what i probaly do. its only 7ft approx, but will sva man fail it. engine an box an prop in now all enclosed tunnel.

mainly digger drivin me

theconrodkid

posted on 28/10/02 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
i used the hard plastic stuf ford used on the mk 2 and cortina 3 also fiat use it on uno and panda,indistructable and easy to bend with a little heat
bsilly

posted on 28/10/02 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
back down the scrappy then to tip over some fiats

mainly digger drivin me

theconrodkid

posted on 28/10/02 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
on the uno they run under the seats inside,you find this out when welding plates on underneath
bsilly

posted on 28/10/02 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
done that too on an avenger. it ruined the carpets

mainly digger drivin me

theconrodkid

posted on 29/10/02 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
did that on a capri,ruined my undies
bsilly

posted on 29/10/02 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
now realise i need 8mm not 10mm. and 6mm for return. gunna do both in rubber from tank to carb. dont want to do another topic but any clue to type of petrol for 1.6 pinto, 1991. they dont have 4star anymore with proper lead in.

mainly digger drivin me

david walker

posted on 30/10/02 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.6 Pinto of circa 1991 will be the "E Max" engine. It has small bore, long stroke (2.0 crank in fact). Power to weight is pretty poor but it's your choice so OK.

All engines made from '88 have to be able to run on unleaded so your E Max, like the injection 2.0 Pintos will have hardened seats already.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

bsilly

posted on 30/10/02 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
thats odd cos its got no markings on it to showw unleaded ie something on the block near to pot 4. according t haynes bible its not the emax?? but unleaded i will use . until i find fireblade for £££cheap. power to weight ? it was poo off wood when it lived with its dad . thanks anyway david

mainly digger drivin me

david walker

posted on 30/10/02 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but the old Cortina type 1600 Pinto ceased to exist in '84. The only 1600 Pinto to appear in the Sierra after that was the E-Max, which saw service until Sierra production ended. - There were also a few 1600 CVH Sierras produced from about 91 to 93, but different thing altogether of course.

As for the stampings that Ford put on blocks and heads to identify type etc, I can tell you that they are very irregular in doing this. Sometimes they are there and sometimes not.

Best of luck with it and to be fair power output of the E-Max was about same as its "squarer" engined predecessor - about 75bhp.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

bsilly

posted on 30/10/02 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
well you live and learn, i guunna try unleade d any how . see how it goes. do you have a couple of gallon spare mister.

mainly digger drivin me

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.