Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Engines; Help
Mave

posted on 4/11/02 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Engines; Help

Hopefully you guys can help me decide what engine to use:
Assuming a Sierra donor, I can chose between Pinto (=SOHC?) and DOHC, right? Which one should I go for? What are the big differences? (apart from the amount of camshafts) I certainly think the DOHC looks a lot better, but I hardly ever see one in a Seven. How come?

For starters, I would like to stick with the EFI system (keep cost low). Any drawbacks in that? I believe a standard 2.0L DOHC should have 120 bhp available, which should be enough to begin with.

Ofcourse, there's also the gearbox issue. I believe the Pinto has the type 9, and the DOHC the MT75. Which one is preferred, and why?

For a later upgrade to a Zetec, which gearbox would be best?

A lot of questions, but I'm sure some of you have all the answers.

Thanks.

Marcel

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 4/11/02 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO I suggest you go with the SOHC, for a number of reasons. The DOHC was prone to the camchain and idlers wearing and is quite expensive and a bit of a twat to fix. The good old Pinto on the other hand is on a cambelt, which is a doddle to change, and if it did break (with a standard cam) is a 'safe' engine, i.e. no damage will occur.
Much more tuning goodies are available for the Pinto too. Remember, looks are'nt everything, its rare that you would drive around with your bonnet open!
A Pinto with EFI will be able to run on unleaded, and will not be far short of 120 bhp either. The main drawback with this system is the overall height, usually requiring a hole in the bonnet to allow the inlet manifold to clear.
Also, try and get a type 9 box. Theu are physically a lot smaller, and should you have a bad attack of 'upgrade-itis' different gear ratio's etc are readily available. The propshaft is also easier to sort out with a type 9, having a sliding spline for the prop. The MT75 has a mount for a large rubber coupling drive output, which cannot be readily removed, although not insurmountable, its hassle that can be avoided.
Finally, the type 9 will also mate to a Zetec, so no probs there.
HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/11/02 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
As Stu says, the MT75 is fitted to all DOHC 8 valves.

The pinto comes with 115 hp as std but the dohc comes with 125.

Both engines have been described as tall.

If you are sure that you are going to do some tuning, then it seems the pinto has more tuning parts.

However, if you want more power, then why not just fit a bigger engine, OR go a light weight route with a bike engine?

125 hp is pretty good in a 600kilo car.

Tuning a pinto will cost a fair amount, so why not spend that on a bigger engine in the first place, i.e, rover v8?

Keeping efi might make the engine taller, due to the plegnum chamber on top.

Carbs (DCOEs?) poking out the side reduce height.

atb

steve

CairB

posted on 4/11/02 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
The EFI velum can be lowered. I've fitted one on a 2.0l Pinto in an MK Indy without any cutouts in the bonnet. Others have done similar in various ways e.g. fabricating a new velum. I'm not sure of the effect on power curve but its good to drive.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/11/02 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
according to one company (when I had my xj-s) they did a plegnum mod for the jag v12 that was supposed to boost torque and possibly power by 10 - 13 percent.

The mod was to make all the inlet tracts to the manifold a tuned same length.

So, making mods might make things better or worse!

On my colgne v6, the chamber is the highest point, right on top of the engine.

On a pinto, i think its canted over at the side. Its not forced to be the highers point, so you might have some scope.

Getting the efi working on my car wasnt hard - the loom came out seperate from the main loom. Started first time too.

If you can use the efi you will save several hundred quid on carbs......

atb

steve

[Edited on 4/11/02 by stephen_gusterson]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.