Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow>>>>4Age conversion?
jmbillings

posted on 11/11/02 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow>>>>4Age conversion?

Hi guys and gals.
We have the opportunity to get a 4age engine for a not-too-bad amount of money. Currently our car has a crossflow in it.
Any websites that will help describe what else is needed? Obviously the tranny will be the main problem... can we adapt our current gearbox to fit? If not, what is recommended (would need new prop and gear linkage though...) Exhaust is obvious enough... what about the electrics? I would assume it would be a case of wiring up all the sensors to the ECU then just supplying an ign feed to it? What about cooling/engine mounts etc... hmmm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 11/11/02 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at Rob Lanes site , He's fitted a 4AGE.

http//:www.domsat.co.uk/pages/locost.htm

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/11/02 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
go on yahoo groups and search for locost

look in the aussie site.

almost without exception they use the 4age due to its power and compliance with their emission rules.

atb

steve

UncleFista

posted on 11/11/02 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmbillings
Obviously the tranny will be the main problem... can we adapt our current gearbox to fit?

If you're feeling flush you could buy an adaptor plate from RAW £175.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

jmbillings

posted on 11/11/02 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well we've decided to give it a go... winters drawing in ya know, so the car wouldn't be getting much use anyway! Anyone want a 1600 xflow with mild cam, lightened flywheel and K&N? Needs new rings and prolly bearing cap thingies, but fine apart from that... got us to Germany, around the Nurburgring twice, and back again...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Findlay234

posted on 11/11/02 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
well im going the 4age route, got it in the form of an mr2 donor, dont bother going for the £175 bellhousing from RAW, you need a £25 type 9 bolt set for it........ supposedly. anyway, fensport sell the same bellhousing but they will also sell you a secondhand but in good nick t50 gearbox from the corolla Ae86 which was rwd and 4age powered, this comes with bellhousing for £85.

the bellhousing for the t50 will fit the 4age whatever the age of the engine. all 5 phases of the engine will fit even the 20v versions.

you can buy a corolla rear axle (live) or just use sierra or whatever you can get hold of.

good sites for the 4age are........
www.billzilla.org
www.club4ag.com

anyother Q's just u2u or email me.
cheers and hope ive helped.

BTW the 4age is an excelent engine, lightweight with alloy head only 1600cc and has been known to give out over 350bhp, the formula atlantic race series in the US use them and get up to 240bhp naturally aspirated...................... for a 1.6??????????????

jmbillings

posted on 11/11/02 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that... I found this too, quite interesting:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8422/4age.htm

Scary really as our car is all nice and fully functional, and we are abut to rip its heart out! Still, I like the idea of a mappable ECU and stuff at a later date once the engine is in... even in standard tune it will give a useful increase in power over what we have now!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.