Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger Avon twin bike engine car
MB

posted on 11/11/02 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger Avon twin bike engine car

Just got hold of a copy of "How to Build your own Tiger Avon Sports Car" - excellent book better than Haynes Make one for £250!

Its got a section (very very brief) on using bike engines. Apparently Tiger have a couple of models that use twin bike engines that are incredibly fast... sounds slighly better than my X-flow - but how does this work - surely bike engines incorporate a gear box which is an easy installation for one engine, but what happens with two of these things?

Liam

posted on 11/11/02 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well, you need another gearbox (from the likes of Quaife) that combines the outputs of the two bike gearboxes and connects to a single propshaft. It might even offer a reverse mode if you're lucky. Last time I checked these boxes weren't much cheaper than one of the engines - dunno what's available now though. Then you need to make a linkage that changes gear on both bike boxes simultaneously.

Or if you're really adventurous you turn the front engine round and make it 4WD. As far as I know only Tiger have done this and broke some records with it too.

Liam

[Edited on 11/11/02 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 12/11/02 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
If you want super quick 0-60 then you simply have to do the 4wd version. Next question, is it worth it? Like most record attempts, if the record is your only goal then yes. If you also want a road-worthy car that won't require constant attention, continuous setting up, clever and expensive electronics etc etc then don't even think about twin bike engines

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 12/11/02 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
the twin bike engined 4WD tiger was on 5th gear ages ago, it did 0-60 in 2.8sec not much quicker than single bike engined 2WD cars.

[Edited on 11/12/02 by Cousin Cleotis]

david walker

posted on 12/11/02 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
All the twin bike engined sevens have been built by my good friend Chris Allanson who's business is called Z-Cars. He's based on the Yorkshire east coast. Chris was the developer of the twin engined cars used in Autograss since '95 and now so commonplace in that sport. His main area of business remains within that sport.

The first two sevens were actually converted Westfields, both using ZX9R engines and were rear wheel drive. The first of the Tiger cars he built was also RWD. They used a collector gearbox (two props in, one out, incorporating reverse made by another Autograss supplier GB Engineering, to Chris' design.

The current, and record breaking 4wd design uses two fuel injected ZX12 engines, one driving the front wheels and one driving the rears, both through Cossie diffs. The engines are bog standard. Reliability is excellent.

The cars incorporate, traction control, launch control and just about everything else. O to 60, yes a single bike engine is nearly, but not as quick but 0 to 160 no chance. These things do 0 to 100 and back to 0 in under 10 seconds!

By the way current price is £40,000. They are not aimed at the Locost market!

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

donut

posted on 12/11/02 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
One of those twin jobbies is owned by my friend Simon Ranson who incidently did all the drawings in the Avon book. His twin is rear wheel drive only and doed 0-60 in 3.11 secs. He has promised me a ride when he gets it back on the road after a gearbox service.

Can't wait!!!!!

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.