Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: temps/pressures+running in
darren(SA)

posted on 8/1/03 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
temps/pressures+running in

<--- We've just fired this bugger over here (modded 1600 X-flow), after getting the gauges wired up, I just would like to check that my temps and pressures are OK.

My oil pressure varied from just over 1 at idle, to just under 3 at 2500rpm+.

The water temp after about 15 min of running(still jacked up with fan permanently on) was btw 80-90'C.Is this OK?

I would also like to fit an oil temp gauge but in the kent, there is obviously only on fitting place for the sender.I've heard of a 'T' piece that can be installed so that both senders can be used, will this work alright?

Ideally, how should this engine be run in considering that absolutely everything is new or has been redone?

thanks
darren

[Edited on 8/1/03 by darren(SA)]

[Edited on 8/1/03 by darren(SA)]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
david walker

posted on 8/1/03 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,

Water temp is fine at 80 to 90deg. What you may find though in a hot climate is the under bonnet temp on a seven can be quite worrying. You will need to lag the exhaust headers and make sure that by way of louvres or whatever you have some way of creating an airflow through the engine bay. However that's secondary at moment your engine is running at right temp.

What is your oil pressure gauge calibrated in? You have a reading of between 1 and 3. If it's "bar" this is low. On a new crossflow, assuming you are using a std pump, then you should really have 2 bar on tickover and rising to say 4+ under revs. 3 bar would be OK at 2500 rev/min.

Oil temp gauge is a bit OTT on a roadgoing crossflow. I can't see any benefit. It's not really telling you anything that water temp gauge isn't telling you. Fit an oil cooler by all means.

Running is difficult. Don't labour the engine through the gears. Let it spin freely, no really hard acceleration but it'll be OK to go to 6000. Change oil and filter after a couple of hundred miles.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

darren(SA)

posted on 9/1/03 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You will need to lag the exhaust headers and make sure that by way of louvres or whatever you have some way of creating an airflow through the engine bay. However that's secondary at moment your engine is running at right temp.

Yes got some exhaust wrap and definately get some louvers cut when I do the bonnet.

Dunno if I can remember correctly but I think the gauge said x100KPa?

thanks tho

cheers
darren

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
darren(SA)

posted on 10/1/03 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, now thats a good Idea!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.