Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting Pinto- still!
James

posted on 9/1/03 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
Mounting Pinto- still!

Dumb question time again but I'm still attempting to get my '205' Pinto mounted.

I've played around with the donor mounts but they're far to space greedy and ugly lookin!
Therefore I'm making my own with 50x50x3mm tubing mounted at 45° with a Fiesta gearbox mount (MK style).

I've noticed that the mount points are different each side on the block ie. the drivers side points project an extra (approx) 30mm.
Clearly, therefore, to keep the engine central the mounts need to be different. What I want to know is would it be better to make one mount longer than the other or to have the chassis mount points in different places?

It may of course not matter and as usual I'm worrying about nothing! But I'm slightly concerned about the handling effect (if any!) of having the mounts in different places.

Thanks,

James

Rorty

posted on 9/1/03 at 03:49 AM Reply With Quote
James, always put the engine/gearbox where they need to be, and then bring the mounts to them.
If you get the engine in position on blocks of wood or whatever, then you can anchor it by bolting bits of offcuts to any available points, and tacking the other ends of the scrap to the chassis (the tack welds can be ground off flush later).
Using the same PU bushes you use for the wishbone brackets on the chassis, attach them to the engine. Then it's a simple case of welding a length of tube from the bush onto the chassis.
Unbolt the anchors, and job's done!

Head like a sieve! AND I can't attach a pic when editing...damn!

[Edited on 9/1/03 by Rorty]

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 9/1/03 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
Here's the pic I meant to attach to my last post!

Although it's a very short mount, and it's a transaxle, you can still see the idea. Rescued attachment VW gear linkage.jpg
Rescued attachment VW gear linkage.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 9/1/03 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
JAMES

MY MK eng mounts are both the same length,but the end plate that bolts to eng is set at an angle.
As bob said earlier once the eng and box are in position take the mounts to it,seems good advice mate

[Edited on 9/1/03 by bob]

scutter

posted on 9/1/03 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Bob, don't you visit your bed? what are you doing up at that hour?

All the best Dan.

P.S. off to Essex to pick up my cylinder head

James

posted on 9/1/03 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty,

Don't worry I'm not trying to do it without the engine/gearbox in the chassis! this Xmas is the first time my chassis and engine have ever been together though! Making a car in 3 different places is not easy!

Anyway, interesting idea. Hadn't thought of mounts done that way. Is a wishbone bush beefy enough for a beast like the Pinto?
(Although having said that they've gotta be good enough when the suspension is fitted! )

Bob,
Thanks again, when you say angle, do you mean the when facing the side of the engine the plate is 'twisted' (as in to match the mount holes that not in a 'square' layout) or do you mean something else?

Thanks,

James

[Edited on 9/1/03 by James]

bob

posted on 9/1/03 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bob,
Thanks again, when you say angle, do you mean the when facing the side of the engine the plate is 'twisted' (as in to match the mount holes that not in a 'square' layout) or do you mean something else?

Thanks,

James

yep not in a square layout

Northy

posted on 9/1/03 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Are suspension bushes good enough to use for the engine mounts?

What do others use?

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

bob

posted on 9/1/03 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
James

I've been corrected by my new mate at mac1,your right they are different lengths to offset the eng.

Rorty

posted on 10/1/03 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
James:
quote:

Is a wishbone bush beefy enough for a beast like the Pinto?

PU is virtually indestructable. Two of the suspension bushes mounted in the manner I described, were strong enough for the engine mounts for a 4.9 RV8 I put in a Beetle, and also for the front and side engine mounts on a Porsche 911 turbo mid mounted in another Beetle.

Cheers, Rorty.

Duncan

posted on 10/1/03 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
They also stop the engine shaking around like a chivers jelly
Northy

posted on 11/1/03 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers lads,

I'm going to use PU bushes, but some a bit larger diameter for piece of mind.

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.