Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative engine
Nick Davison

posted on 9/4/02 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative engine

I have just aquired a 1600 twin cam Toyota from an MR2, about 122hp standard, 2in shorter, not as long and a sight lighter than a Pinto.

Has anyone fitted one of these to a Mk9 gearbox before or had any dealings with one. I have been told that they are a good bet for reliability and power (up to 200hp acording to RAW!)but expensive to repair. Also they seem complicated to install.

Any pointers would be realy helpful.

Also Dunc do you have any of your drawings for Pintos or the 1600TC available in another format other than CAD?

UncleFista

posted on 9/4/02 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Check out www.robs7.com he's converting his Locost from crossflow to Toyota 4-AGE (your engine) at the moment. Its very popular in Oz.
I've not heard of anyone using them with Ford 'boxes, every install I've heard of uses the t50 Toyota gearbox from a "Sprinter" thats the old RWD Corrola. Theres a few mods that need to be done to convert from E-W configuration to N-S.

For more pecific 4-AGE info try;

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/

Good luck, thats a very nice engine you have there.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/4/02 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
that engine is just about universally used in australia.

look on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/locost_oz

Fatboy Dave

posted on 10/4/02 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Has anyone fitted one of these to a Mk9 gearbox before or had any dealings with one. I have been told that they are a good bet for reliability and power (up to 200hp acording to RAW!)but expensive to repair. Also they seem complicated to install.

They are good engines, and happily rev to 8500rpm. You can either stump up for the type 9 bellhousing, or use a rear wheel drive Corrolla box. Choice of either a pair of fat 45s, or EFI, each with their own dis/advantages.

As for too expensive to repair, yes, they are. Toyota are almost as greedy as BMW, but once the engine has done 170k miles, it's cheaper to just go find another one (these things are ten-a-penny from Japan), and you'll be collecting your pension before you wear out the replacement

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.