Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall engines
andya

posted on 9/4/02 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall engines

Hi All
Can anyone tell me which Vauxhall engines are any good and what cars they are from.
I believe the 2.0 8valve is good but will it fit into a book chassis.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/4/02 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi All
Can anyone tell me which Vauxhall engines are any good and what cars they are from.
I believe the 2.0 8valve is good but will it fit into a book chassis.

I did a poll on the 'other' locost list a month or two back, and out of 70 or so voters, not a single one used a vauhall engine.

The 2.0 130hp engine in the cavalier goes well, but my favourite would be the 2.5 litre v6 giving very revvy smooth 170hp. There was (perhaps still is) one on ebay.co.uk

atb

steve

interestedparty

posted on 10/4/02 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
The 16v vauxhall 2ltrs are frequently used with ford gearboxes, adaptrs available from SBD and others. The pre Ecotec are the ones to go for. Easy to tune to well over 200 bhp. Probably not used by locosters due to competition from well-heeled caterham and westfield owners. V6's are very nice but quite a bit more expensive to tune due to increased component count etc.
I'm surprised that I don't here more about Rover V8's being used in Locosts. Cheap and easily available, got to be the most bhp and torque per £1 anywhere and very reliable as well

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

macdave69

posted on 17/4/02 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
well your poll was in the wrong place my friend as I am using a Vauxhall engine and most happy with the prospect
JohnFol

posted on 18/4/02 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 2.5 Vectra engine. Some are 168bhp, but MSD convert them for around £840. These versions are 195bhp and are found in Vectra GSi's. The mod is to change the cams for 3l ones. (Ecotek mods don't work, but induction kits do as the engine has breathing problems.)
Not sure why you are considering the 8V engine when there is a 16V version?

I know someone who pushes out 200bhp from the 2l (and it's lighter than the 2.5), and somewone with a 3l Vectra. Did you also know you can get superchargers for them?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.