Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine doesn't quite fit
RobBrown

posted on 10/4/02 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Engine doesn't quite fit

I recently bought an IRS chassis from Locost Ltd. and have just lifted my 1.6 Pinto engine, from a sierra, into the engine bay.

I have found that I cannot reconnect the alternator as it is impeded by one of the front chassis struts. Has anyone come across this before, and has a solution.

The guys at Locost had asked me what engine I was putting in, and new it was a Pinto. Surely the engine bay should have been big enough.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

David Jenkins

posted on 10/4/02 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have found that I cannot reconnect the alternator as it is impeded by one of the front chassis struts. Has anyone come across this before, and has a solution.

Try Les Newell's site, at this address:

http://www.lnewell.free-online.co.uk/engine_installation.html

He has a few pictures of his alternator installation about half-way down the page, plus some drawings, and he was very helpful to me when I was thinking of using a Pinto.

(I then went and had a lie down, and the feeling went away... )

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/4/02 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I recently bought an IRS chassis from Locost Ltd. and have just lifted my 1.6 Pinto engine, from a sierra, into the engine bay.

The guys at Locost had asked me what engine I was putting in, and new it was a Pinto. Surely the engine bay should have been big enough.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If you are building a locost, thats just a tiny problem. I had to move my alternator and power steering pump on my v6 ford. They are mounted different places depending on year etc.

atb

steve

RobBrown

posted on 10/4/02 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link to Les Newells site. This looks like the way I need to go.

Thanks
Rob

James

posted on 15/4/02 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you are building a locost, thats just a tiny problem. I had to move my alternator and power steering pump on my v6 ford. They are mounted different places depending on year etc.

atb

steve

When moving the alternator etc. is it merely a case of changing the angle at which it sits (maybe with a new bracket) and using a shorter/longer belt to compensate?

If this is the case, and I'll need the belt from another car, are belts usually similar width so it's easier to find an alternative or do you need to hunt down one that uses Ford width aswell as it being the right length?

Did that make sense to anyone? If not I'll rewrite in English!

Thanks,

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/4/02 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
[quoteatb

When moving the alternator etc. is it merely a case of changing the angle at which it sits (maybe with a new bracket) and using a shorter/longer belt to compensate?

If this is the case, and I'll need the belt from another car, are belts usually similar width so it's easier to find an alternative or do you need to hunt down one that uses Ford width aswell as it being the right length?

Did that make sense to anyone? If not I'll rewrite in English!

Thanks,

James

I moved mine to the other side of the engine.

There were convenient holes in the block, and I made a 'pivot bar' out of inch rhs and some 3mm bits of plate - not that hard.

Make sure that you dont do something (impossible?) like drive the laternator wrong way round!

I got belts from www.farnell.com

look under drive belts and/or fenner.

They do lots of different sizes, approx 40mm or so increments.

If you cant find it on the site, shout. They are cheap, about 3 quid each. Min order 10 quid tho.

ATB

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.