Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto engine in stadard chassis
andya

posted on 14/4/02 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto engine in stadard chassis

After posting loads of questions I am still no further on in deciding which engine to use
I've got the steel, got the flat surface but dont know whether to build it standard or not. I think I'm going 2.0 Pinto for cheapness and tuneability. I know its heavy but sod it.
So the big question is: Will it fit in a standard chassis?

Andy

Metal Hippy™

posted on 14/4/02 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
They're tall as well as heavy, so as far as I can tell raising the chassis height by an inch and using a shallow oil sump etc is the way to go.

I'm using a 1600 Pinto lump and I've got the shallow sump, but the chassis is going to be standard height which I'm beginning to think may become a mistake, but hey, what's a lump in the bonnet between friends?

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Nick Davison

posted on 15/4/02 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Pinto, at the moment, in a standard chassis. The problem areas I have come across are fouling of alternator, starter motor and bell housing.

With a standard chassis the minimum alterations needed are to remove the top diagonal bracing strut, that starts from the top inside of the drivers foot well and ends at the right suspension mount. This will have to be shortened and moved back to about half way down the top right chassis rail.

If I had the chance to remake the chassis I would make it 2" higher and widen the whole front end making it squarer and with more equal length wishbones. This would alter all sorts of things, body, suspension, steering etc. so isn't a viable option.

I am also modifying a standard nosecone for the Pinto, it looks very like a Tiger nosecone which may really annoy some one!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.