Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More Alternative Engines Help!
Nick Davison

posted on 18/4/02 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
More Alternative Engines Help!

Thanks for all the info on the Toyota. The MR2 is still mine if I want it so the option is still open.

This time I have been offered a nice sounding and looking Lancia 2.0l 16v Turbo about 170 to 205hp standard!!!!!!! Again for stupid money.

Thing is will it go in and how good are the engines? Has it been done before in a standard chassis and with a rear wheel drive gear box? Are there any rear wheel drive Lancias which will have a box to fit?

I realy need some help on this one because it will go if I don't act now. Any web links would help.

Nick

interestedparty

posted on 18/4/02 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'd forget the Lancia, if you want that kind of power why not fit a Rover v8, cheap, plentiful, no parts hassles, no RWD hassles.
John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Nick Davison

posted on 18/4/02 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes fair comment John but this is only £60.00 and I could drive the car home!

Nick

interestedparty

posted on 18/4/02 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I know exactly how you feel, Nick, in fact I'm sure all of us on this forum do. At the heart of what we do is the liberation of decent components from their rusty tombs, refurbishing them and letting them live again in a new, stylish, quick and much loved by their owners form.
My only worry, faced with the options in front of you, would be more about the time and energy you will be investing rather than the buying-in price
Going with the Lancia will be interesting and exciting, scary even, which is what Locost building is all about. If you fancy it, go for it, you will certainly draw a big crowd at car shows.
Philosophically yours
John

UncleFista

posted on 18/4/02 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
The Rover V8 isn't as powerful as people would have you believe. The 3.5 LR version has around 90hp at the wheels, it all depends on either your budget or your luck in obtaining a decent one in the first place
My mate was insistant that his Cab forward had 140 or so HP, was a bit of a shock when it was RR'ed at 88hp Bit crap at 8mpg too ;(

Tony (Unc)

macdave69

posted on 18/4/02 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
if it is based on the earlier 8v dohc engines, then it should bolt onto the arbarth 5 sp box out of a 131 miafiori. Try breaking that box!!!!!!

They are a bit bulky and sit quite high in the transmission tunnel but £60 for a 16v turbo, are you crazy!!!!!,you could sell the lights and other trim bits and make money and still keep the motor

and as for v8 rovers, aren't they fitted in land rovers!!!!
performance motoring my arse

alternativey
GET A VAUXHALL

interestedparty

posted on 19/4/02 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
It's true that the Rv8 comes in many different versions. If you are buying one you need to know which ones to look out for. The guys on the forum at
http://www.rover-v8.co.uk
will help. The one to get is the SD1 version, 9.35CR (it's stamped on the block) 160bhp with decent exhaust system. With weber 500 carb and manifold 185 bhp. With a bit of work, decent cam, 3.9 conversion and weber 500 you can get a provable 226bhp and no need to spin up to high revs to get he power
John
3.9 RV8 owner

Nick Davison

posted on 19/4/02 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote

Nick Davison

posted on 19/4/02 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I did some digging about regarding the 2.0l Turbo last night. Standard fit, as in the car it is 165-200bhp!! With an EPROM chip to reprogram the fuel system this will take it to 270bhp and after spending a load of money it is capable of 370bhp. That should be enough for a half a ton car!!

There will be loads of problems and head scratching to fit this thing into a locost chassis, but it is not something I will sell once finished. And how fast will it go?

These cars are not fetching any money at all at the moment, probably because they are all falling to bits by now so it is a viable source of bhp that has been largely untapped.

I will keep you informed of progress. Thanks for all the comments, if any of you have any more info please divulge

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.