Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cosworth Power
Zetec Man

posted on 24/4/02 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cosworth Power

Someone had to mention it.......does anyone know if a Cosworth engine from a Sierra or Sapphire Cosworth will fit in a Locost or will the chassis need to be made wider to accomodate all the intercooler piping and turbo. I know it's a pinto with a 16v head so it will be quite heavy and i want to keep the turbo and not run it normally aspirated on carbs. That engine choice may sound mad but a basic stage 1 tune takes these engines to nearly 300bhp, and 500BHP can be had. I know it would be nearly undrivable on the road but i don't care as i only want it for a pure track machine to shut down those Evo's and Impreza's with a potential 1000BHP/Ton Locost and show them that Cossie power rules!!!!!
warren leader

posted on 24/4/02 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone ever questioned youre sanity ?
cheers
warren

Dunc

posted on 24/4/02 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
might be a bit high so lots of power bulges, widening it a little might help, esp if using a sierra donor. Plenty of room in front of engine for intercoolers etc but you will need to watch the engine and brake cylinders and sterring column doesn't get in the way.

Dunc

bob

posted on 24/4/02 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
A builder i know has a cosworth turbo in his locost,fits where it touches in engine bay.
I'm pretty sure he will be at stoneleigh this year,and sure he'll give you the info on it.

Jon Ison

posted on 24/4/02 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
i used to run pinto engines in the rear end of saloon cars for grassin, changed over to Atmo cosworth with no problems, pretty much where a pinto will fit a cosworth will, just a bit wider up top, but if you want to beat scoobys an evo's there's no need to go that far, the humble locost is very good at splatting egg on face's once your talking 1600cc up, or any bike jobbie will pretty much beat anything up to 100mph, and i mean anything.
Liam

posted on 24/4/02 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about 1000bhp/ton. Even if you get your cossie lump to 500bhp, the car will NEVER weigh only 500kg! A 'mild' 300bhp tune and 600kg sounds more likely (not to mention a fraction of the cost), and 500bhp/ton will still annihilate anything else (unless someone brings their McLaren F1 or their Hayabusa turbo Dax Rush!).

Good luck anyway - you're a nutter after my own heart. I know how scarily fast my car is gonna be with its standard 180bhp, but I still fully intend to turbocharge it to around 300 But I have 4WD to help slightly with driveability!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
darren(SA)

posted on 25/4/02 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
horse power can be compared to women's breasts, you can never have too much!

just a thought

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.