Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine paint
fuz

posted on 8/5/02 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
engine paint

just want some advice on painting my engine. i know i have to use heat resistant stuff, can anyone recommend a make that they have used and the best way to go about it. cheers

fuz

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/5/02 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

According to the first edition of 'the book' they used household paint. Its supposed to smell a bit and then stop.

Alternatively, your car bursts into flames or it looks brown and manky after a while.

I used black engine paint from Halfords. Dont use the exhaust paint - its like that powder stuff they give you as kids at school to paint with.

The proper halfords engine stuff goes on a treat in 2 coats and is heat proof and I THINK comes in silver and one or two others.

Dont use any kinda hammerite - it melts just above the temperature of chocolate.

ATB

Steve

fuz

posted on 9/5/02 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
cheers stephen,
got a halfords shop just near me so i,ll have a trip down, so you just paint it on, it,s not a spray?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/5/02 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. Its a brush paint.

They probably have something of some sorts in a can but I cant recommend that.

cos I didnt use it.

I found a brush got in all those little places (oohh eeerrr) without overspray goind where it ought not.

atb

steve

fuz

posted on 11/5/02 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Been talking to a mate of mine who used to be a panel beater and he said i would be best putting an engine primer on first, did you do this with yours and is you engine still looking nice and colourful!

cheers

fuz

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/5/02 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
How do you panel beat an engine?

The stuff i used seems quite nice and sticky, and there was no mention of an undercoat. However, as I had to use two coats to get a nice finish, an undercoat, if needed, wouldnt have been a deal breaker.

The paint looks great 3 months after, but the car has only been run up to temp in my garage as its not on the road yet.

atb

steve

Simon Mc

posted on 12/5/02 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have used the halford engine paint and it seem to be ok. A couple of coats and after 30,000 miles it was still all on and the same colour. Most engine paints i have used have been very good, and you can normally paint a couple of engines with a tin. (unless it a green tractor engine, dont ask.)
fuz

posted on 13/5/02 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
cheers guys, very helpful. think i,ll just use the engine paint then. couldn,t be arsed with the primer anyway!!

fuz

James

posted on 13/5/02 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
What would be suitable to use for cleaning the engine in the first place before painting? I've got Gunk already at home but wasn't sure if that might leave some sort of residue that'll stop the paint going on ok.

James

Dunc

posted on 13/5/02 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've been told by a pro that WD40 is the best for cleaning an engine. Then to get the WD40 off using some kind of thinners that evapourates quickly, can't remember which one but preferably one that doesn't melt plastic like chlorothene. Used chlorothene to clean brake calipers one time before and was shocked when I saw the rubbers desintegrate before my eyes!
David Jenkins

posted on 13/5/02 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you can be bothered to deal with post & packing charges, POR15's Marine Clean degreaser/cleaner is very good stuff.

It cleans so well that I prefer not to use it on damp days - you can watch the degreased steel rust before your eyes!

Good stuff tho' and can be washed off easily.

David

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/5/02 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
What would be suitable to use for cleaning the engine in the first place before painting? I've got Gunk already at home but wasn't sure if that might leave some sort of residue that'll stop the paint going on ok.

James

My engine looked crap before it was cleaned up and painted. It looks a million dolars now, or 900k euros or whatever.

I used gunk, but the real handy tool is to blast the crap outa it with a pressure washer - tape up any places you dont wanna get water in. Gunk and a blast make a clean engine that you can paint right on to even if it has 13 years of shyte on it.

atb

steve

Simon Mc

posted on 13/5/02 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I agree
James

posted on 14/5/02 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Guys,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.