Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Idle control valve
Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/03 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Idle control valve

I have just started my plenum chamber reduction. I have cut out the 'manifold' part and welded a plate on the back to mate up with a mild steel replacement box.

I have looked at the afor mentioned valve and see that I will have to make a pipe from the throttle casting to the upper hole in the valve, the lower hole being vented to the chamber itself.

Does anyone know how the valve actually works? I can copy what Ford did no problem and it will probably work OK, but I hate copying something without knowing the gen!

Mark Rescued attachment Plenum2.jpg
Rescued attachment Plenum2.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

spy

posted on 12/9/03 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
on a zetec, the idle control valve lets more air into the cylinders when the car is stood still to give a better idle. There are 2 holes (air in and out) connected by a channel within the valve. There is a plunger that shuts of this air passage under normal driving conditions, and opens up when idling.
Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/03 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it would be a bit more complicated than that! I was a bit worried about the bore of the pipe I am going to weld in, or the valve would be variable and computer controlled and I would upset it by modifying it - sound simple!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

theconrodkid

posted on 13/9/03 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
the throttle butterfly is shut tight during idle,the idle controll valve is controlled by the ecu and is adjusted to allow for cold engine,heavy alternator ,a/c loads and keep idle speed stable

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

spy

posted on 13/9/03 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I thought it would be a bit more complicated than that! I was a bit worried about the bore of the pipe I am going to weld in, or the valve would be variable and computer controlled and I would upset it by modifying it - sound simple!

I would have thought the ECU would be able compensate for the bore of pipe, as long as it's not too restrictive (just a guess). When the battery on a mondeo is cut off the ecu is reset to default settings. There is a simple procedure to 're-calibrate' the ecu so that the engine idles correctly.

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/9/03 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone see any reason why this valve would not work on its side i.e. on top of the plenum chamber?

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/9/03 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone see any reason why this valve would not work on its side i.e. on top of the plenum chamber?

Come on, I'm going to fit it tomorrow! Pleeeeez someone must know Rescued attachment Plenum3.jpg
Rescued attachment Plenum3.jpg

Alistair Mc

posted on 15/9/03 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
you dont need the valve, just turn the tickover up using the idle screw. friend had similar arangment in westy worked fine with no valve.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/9/03 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
im no expert, but my understanding of the valve is that it allows more air into the intake to up the tickover. Mechanically opening the throttle would allow the same effect. However, you ahve a nice ECU in the system thats trying to do the job for you too. My guess is it really doesnt matter where the air is bled in, as long as all cylinders get a look in. On my V6 its placed on the side of the plegnum just past the butterflys. Mounting on the top doesnt seem like a deal breaker....

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/9/03 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have welded the bleed pipe so it exits at the side now, I'll post some pickies when I have it all assembled

Thanks

Mark

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/9/03 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
There we are! Rescued attachment Plenum4Pipe.jpg
Rescued attachment Plenum4Pipe.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/9/03 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
All temporarily put together, all I need is a lid, and a couple of brackets, it will look better when painted (My daughters says it looks like a cofin for Barbie - I do worry about her - she is doing psycollogy and uni!) Rescued attachment Plenum5.jpg
Rescued attachment Plenum5.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.