Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine mount thickness
ned

posted on 16/9/03 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Engine mount thickness

One of the jobs for the weekend/next week will be engine mounts. what thickness tube/plate do i need to use? i have some 3mm plate and 1"sq & 2x1"sq tube, 16swg, will this be sufficient or should they be beefier?

While I'm here am I right in thinking the the bottom of the sump should be no more than 1" below the bottom rail for engine height/ground clearance?

thanks,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 16/9/03 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ned, I used 3mm plate for my engine mountings.

Photo here

My sump was originally 2" below the chassis but I found it a bit low so I made some more engine mounts and the sump is now only 1" below the chassis (as recommended in the book somewhere)

[Edited on 16/9/03 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 16/9/03 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
thanks roadkill,

I'm giong to be making engine mounts similar to northy's as i'm using the same engine, just wasn't sure of the thickness of tubes (see his photo archive)

thanks,

Ned.

Northy

posted on 16/9/03 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned,

Are you buying a bonnet, scuttle and nose?

If you are, these will determine how high you can mount your engine! But don't worry too much, I made mine a little bit too short at first, but just made some metal spacers to sit between the chassis and engine mount rubber.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

ned

posted on 16/9/03 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Northy,

I will be buying the grp, but haven't done so yet. The MK and Luego grp looks good. the advantage of the luego velocity stuff is that as with mk's they both fit book chassis' but the luego stuff is 2" taller, so would allow plenty of space for everything to fit. alternatively i could use mk's with a bulge or air intake.

thanks,

Ned.

ned

posted on 17/9/03 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Is there any reason why i shouldn't mount the engine solidly to the chassis (ie without rubber mounts) or is there a valid reason i can't think of?

thanks,

Ned.

timf

posted on 17/9/03 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
how's your dental work ?
ned

posted on 17/9/03 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
well, i had a passenger ride in a rear engined racer that was solidly mounted, didn't seem to bad... suspension was mounted off gearbox like an f1 car too...

Ned.

ps you're quick today timf!

timf

posted on 17/9/03 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
well, i had a passenger ride in a rear engined racer that was solidly mounted, didn't seem to bad... suspension was mounted off gearbox like an f1 car too...

fuel injected by any chance ?

carbs seem to suffer from frothing in the float bowls when solid mounting in a road car.

ned

posted on 17/9/03 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
no, weber 45's using mysiad plates (metal plates with mounting rubbers between carbs and manifold) to avoid the fuel frothing up...

Ned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.