Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how about the WRX drivetrain
kb58

posted on 26/9/03 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
how about the WRX drivetrain

That would really be something! The boxer engine is very low, giving a great CG, but it's also wide, so I'm not sure how it would fit in a Locost type chassis. But with the WRX STi version giving 320hp, and 4WD... and 1200lbs or so total weight, that would be amazing.

Of course they're too new, meaning too expensive, right now, but later....

[Edited on 26/9/03 by kb58]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 26/9/03 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
i was considering using the drivetrain from a sub legacy turbo, only 200bhp ish, but still very tunable, and of course a 4by.

i couldn't be bothered storing it for the amount of time it would've taken to be ready.

i think the engine would give a fairly poor weight distribution though, cos being only 2 cylinders deep they have it in front of the front wheels, and that makes the gearbox quite reliable cos there is no forward prop shaft, the front drive shafts come straight from the gearbox. would make it a bit nose heavy.

which ever way i look at it, hicost has the right idea, standard layout with bags of power. I think personally this is better than rear engined for the distribution on a car like this. I was gonna do a rearengined one next but have changed my mind, now looking for a way to get a FWD rover engine spun round onto a RWD gearbox. Rover turbo is my favourite for cheap power, from 600 and 800. Either that or a knackered old 200sx, since the turbo always seems to go first replace the turbo with a big blower. they're cheap in auctions cos thats where they all go when the turbo pops.

anyway all harmless speculation cos i'll never get there...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.