Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap oil catch tank anyone ?
givemethebighammer

posted on 8/11/03 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap oil catch tank anyone ?

Demon theives oil catch tank circa £65

DIY water bottle one circa £9 !!!

Ali water bottle from ASDA £6 (drilled with 10mm holes)

JB Weld epoxy £3 (to glue tubes in)

Bits of copper microbore tube £...ppp

Intend to fix in the engine bay with a mountain bike bottle bracket.

Note: make sure you vent the bottle by either drilling some small holes in the cap. I am going to fit a small breather filter to one of the tubes.

[Edited on 8/11/03 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment cat.jpg
Rescued attachment cat.jpg

andyps

posted on 8/11/03 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Even cheaper is an empty plastic drink bottle! I have seen these used regularly at motorsport events.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

givemethebighammer

posted on 8/11/03 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
OK so I'm doing locost not nocost. Besides mine looks better than a plastic drinks bottle...........

scutter

posted on 8/11/03 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Top idea Mr Hammer,

Don't mind if I copy the idea

P.S. how do the catch tanks internals work? Just for my curiosity

Take care Dan.

[Edited on 8/11/03 by scutter]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 8/11/03 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's got no internals, just a bottle to "catch" the oily crank case breather fumes that would normally be fed back into the carb / injection system to be burned in the engine. These fumes can lower the efficency of the fueling system so they are best routed to a catch tank for later safe disposal.

Basically it is just a bottle that has a breather see attached photo Rescued attachment filter.jpg
Rescued attachment filter.jpg

scutter

posted on 8/11/03 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent cheers,

Dan
(always learning)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 8/11/03 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
So what are the other two connections for? One to breather, other?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

scutter

posted on 8/11/03 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I was guessing crankcase and rocker cover, but be good to know for sure.

Dan.

givemethebighammer

posted on 8/11/03 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
yup, that's it crankcase and rocker cover

The tiny filter probably not really necessary for the sake of a few quid....(but make sure you vent the bottle some other way if you don't use one)

[Edited on 8/11/03 by givemethebighammer]

bike_power

posted on 8/11/03 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen somebody use a brake fluid resovior as a differential oil catch tank . . . connect the breather into the bottom of the resoivoir so any oil drains back into the diff and place a very small filtered vent on top.
D Beddows

posted on 9/11/03 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Good looking idea - been searching for something similar for our race car for a while but got bored looking (the plastic container formerly home to a litre of white spirit isn't exactly sexy ) what is the capacity of the bottle?
givemethebighammer

posted on 9/11/03 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Think mine is 1 litre but I have see these types of bottle in 1.5 litre version (however not as cheap as the one I found in ASDA)
blueshift

posted on 9/11/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen this done similarly with Sigg bottles on the university of herts formula student race cars, only they routed all the tubes in through a customised lid rather than tapping tubes in.

If the catch tank fills with oil and needs emptying now and again this could be more convenient..

paulf

posted on 9/11/03 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
[I used a bike drink bottle also, mine had a breather in the top to allow air in and a pull out nozzle for drinking from . I removed the nozzle and fitted a bit of 10mm bore tube in place. The breather pipe from engine then vented into the centre of the cap and the bottle was able to vent around the outside of it through the holes originally intended to let air in.
I bought mine from Lidol and it came with a plastic mounting bracket and a padded insulating cover, the best bit was it was on offer for £3.00 and is blue anodised .
I didnt use the plastic bracket as it was a bit flimsy so mounted the bottle with a large stainless jubille clip and a bracket.
Paul.
only they routed all the tubes in through a customised lid rather than tapping tubes in.

If the catch tank fills with oil and needs emptying now and again this could be more convenient..

Stu16v

posted on 11/11/03 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, been using the Drinks bottle method for a bit too. Most are 0.8 litre though....

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.