Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How tha Hell...?
Crazy Jay

posted on 17/1/04 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
How tha Hell...?

Sorry 2 be annoying, but....well thats wot i do best. Am buying my engine soon and want to know all my options. How can i use a vauxhall red top engine? Is it just as expensive as the Zetec conversion?
Stu16v

posted on 18/1/04 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I will give you the Vauxhall side of the story....

First you need to decide what gearbox you will use. I would personally recommend a Ford box, for a number of reasons. Unless you are building your own chassis, you know this box will fit. They are two a penny. They are widely supported with gear ratio upgrades by a number of companies. The downside is that it is going to need a bellhousing conversion, using a RWD Vauxhall box would avoid this. But if you are buying a completed chassis, you will be wise to check with the manufacturer that it will fit. Of course, if doing your own, you just build the tunnel around the box....

Assuming that the engine/gearbox combo is now sorted, you need a lowered sump. You can get one off a 2 litre 8v Cav and cut/shut it your self, or there is plenty on sale. The sump that comes as standard is alloy, and for most of us, is difficult to modify.

I strongly advise that you fit twin 45's to it. The standard injection *could* be utilised, but it is a pain in the arse to do, and besides, an extra 25 bhp is found from a carb conversion.

Engine mountings are a doddle to make, as the 16v has lugs cast on the block for RWD fitment. Again, they can also be bought...

Ignition is fairly straightforward too, and choice is dependant on budget. Again plenty of companies selling ignition only kits for the VX, or you can convert as 8v dizzy/ignition to fit.

In some installations, the oil filter can foul chassis members. You can either buy a 'remote' filter kit, or merely use a Renault oil filter which is half the length.

Finally, according to chassis, you may find you will need to move the alternator to another position, as it can foul the top O/S engine bay rail. Luckily, on the bottom of the block on the other side of the engine, there are some redundant lugs for the power steering pump which can be utilised.

Other issues, such as coolant plumbing, exhaust etc are no less different than any engine you may choose to fit. Hopefully, someone will be along soon to give you the Zetec side of things.

Companies that make the RWD conversions are SBD, QED, Yukspeed, Westfield, and there are probably others.

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/1/04 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Plus the Vauxhall Red Top engine Rules

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Northy

posted on 18/1/04 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v

In some installations, the oil filter can foul chassis members. You can either buy a 'remote' filter kit, or merely use a Renault oil filter which is half the length.

Finally, according to chassis, you may find you will need to move the alternator to another position, as it can foul the top O/S engine bay rail. Luckily, on the bottom of the block on the other side of the engine, there are some redundant lugs for the power steering pump which can be utilised.

HTH Stu.

Stu,

I investigated the Renault filter, but the actual thread used to screw the filter on is different. Some of the Chaterham boys use them, and admit that its not a perfect fit, but doesn't fall off! I think I'll either got with remote mount, or sump guard (which will protect the Chaterham ali sump aswell).

I didn't have to move the alternator because of the chassis, but because it fouled on the carb style inlet manifold! May be different on 16 valve, don't know. I would have rather left it where it was, not right next to the exhaust

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 18/1/04 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't use the zetec injection system (most don't) the cost of fitting the zetec is about the same as that of the Vx engine. The difference is that there is no option fitting a dizzy, you will need an ignition ECU. You can fit carbs or injection, injection control will in most cases be controlled by a dual ignition/injection ECU. You will be able to fit to either type 9 or MT75 Ford gearbox using a standard Ford clutch, no mods required. The overall cost will be very similar for both engines.
Crazy Jay

posted on 18/1/04 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx every1, use hav made up my mind. As I am building my own chassis, I will buy the Omega gearbox and a cavalier Gsi engine tomoro from the local scrappy. Cheers fellaz will let you know how I get on
Jon Ison

posted on 18/1/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
id choose the red top, but why spoil a nice chassis with a oily car engine ???

get a proper motor in it................

............."ducks for cover"..........

Stu16v

posted on 19/1/04 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Northy, 'the' filter to use is apparently off a Reno Fuego (remember them?) My Mrs works at a Reno dealership in the parts dept, and she said all the Renp filters were the same, but apparently not.

And yes, according to inlet design, some dont allow or at least help fitment of the alternator in the standard position.

As a matter of interest, I have got away with a standard VX filter. But you mileage may vary....

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.