Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Old type indy diff mounts
mookaloid

posted on 9/11/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Old type indy diff mounts

I'm making a start on my new project and I have noticed that the diff mounts are different from my previous Indy. They have some rubber mounts in them.

Are these any good? any one using them?
I don't know if MK changed the design because they were rubbish or if it was just cheaper to use plain mounting plates.

diff mts sml
diff mts sml

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

PAUL FISHER

posted on 9/11/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ive not seen any like that on a Indy Mark,must have been a one off,is it rubber mounted on the bottom of the diff aswell,can't see from that picture.
jacko

posted on 9/11/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mark i have see one like that it was when i picked my chassis up 2003 and martin was making / fitting the original sierra diff mount at the rear of the diff
If i was you i would remove that and fit the new type
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 9/11/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've not seen any like that either, mine is a 2001 chassis and the diff is hard mounted like all the others i've seen.

When was that chassis produced ? as paul says it may well be a one off.

mookaloid

posted on 9/11/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
The lower mounts are just the same Paul.

Must be a very early chassis then. It looks as if it could be ok but if it isn't I guess now would be a better time to change it rather than after the car is built!

Can any one ID the bushes?

Cheers

Mark

PAUL FISHER

posted on 9/11/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Could be a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it,if its lasted that long it must be quite strong,all depending on how its been driven and what engine has been fitted in it,and if the bushes are worn,and if so can you get hold of any.
bob

posted on 9/11/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bushes

Are they steel outer and middle with rubber centre ? if so they could well be cortona Mk IV/V void bushes which went in the diff top either side.

mookaloid

posted on 9/11/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think they are cortina ones - they don't look like pictures I have seen of those.

The car has never been driven so I can't tell if it's "if it ain't broke don't fix it" or not

jacko

posted on 9/11/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mark i thinkone of Tim windmill's cars had diff mounts like that
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 9/11/08 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure they were changed after somebodys diff managed to break loose, I think ours was 1 of the first cars with the newer type diff mounts, Altho that contradicts 2 other comments on here

"I've not seen any like that either, mine is a 2001 chassis and the diff is hard mounted like all the others i've seen"

AND

"Mark i have see one like that it was when i picked my chassis up 2003 and martin was making / fitting the original sierra diff mount at the rear of the diff
If i was you i would remove that and fit the new type"

I'd most agree with the 2nd (Jacko's) of the above comments and timescales.

jacko

posted on 9/11/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
I'm pretty sure they were changed after somebodys diff managed to break loose, I think ours was 1 of the first cars with the newer type diff mounts, Altho that contradicts 2 other comments on here

"I've not seen any like that either, mine is a 2001 chassis and the diff is hard mounted like all the others i've seen"

AND

"Mark i have see one like that it was when i picked my chassis up 2003 and martin was making / fitting the original sierra diff mount at the rear of the diff

I dont think it was a new car/ chassis when Martin was working on it so it could have been from 2001
Graham

jacko

posted on 9/11/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mark why not go the whole hog and fit a De-Dion axle?

[Edited on 9/11/08 by jacko]

mookaloid

posted on 9/11/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
It concerns me that one might have failed so maybe I'll change the mounts - on the other hand maybe I should go the whole hog as you say Jacko!

Chippy

posted on 9/11/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Seems like a good idea to me to have the diff rubber mounted, far less vibration/noise transmitted though the chassis. It's really a question of as to whether the mounting are up to the job, if they are I would say keep it as it is. IMHO Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

bob

posted on 9/11/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

AND

So i didnt purchase my chassis in 2001 and the diff isnt hard mounted.

mookaloid

posted on 9/11/08 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Seems like a good idea to me to have the diff rubber mounted, far less vibration/noise transmitted though the chassis. It's really a question of as to whether the mounting are up to the job, if they are I would say keep it as it is. IMHO Ray

It worries me that one of this design might have failed and if I can't ID the bushes it would be cr*p if I couldn't get any more. I don't recall noticing any vibes coming from the diff - not above the wind and the engine and the exhaust and the tyres and all the other noises from an open car!

However, it might be a good shock absorber to have in the drive train. The BEC's I have driven have all been fairly clunky on drive take up and gear changes....

Still thinking

Syd Bridge

posted on 9/11/08 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Rubber diff mounts ARE DEFINITELY THE PROPER WAY TO GO.

Anyone saying different doesn't know a lot about NVH and the effects of vibration and shock loads.

Remember that Westfield debacle? A compliantly mounted diff would have forgiven the poorly designed back end, in all probability.

KEEP THE RUBBER MOUNTS!!!!

There WILL be many broken mounts in the cars with solid mounted diffs in the future. It just may take a bit of time, because of the low useage these cars get.

If the diff housings don't crack, then the chassis mounts definitely will.

Cheers,
Syd.

bob

posted on 9/11/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mark

Just had a look through some of the older cars from MK owners, only one i could find with rubber mounts is Dean Caulfields car.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=4tank.JPG

Dean is listed on here as DEAN C. he is a top bloke and would probably know the bush from memory

[Edited on 9/11/08 by bob]

Browny
Junior Builder

Posts 32
Registered 6/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Space framed Fiat Seicento with zzr1400 engine.

posted on 9/11/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
diff mounts

Change them quick!!!
My first indy had it diff mounted like that, it lasted about 50 miles before it tore the lower mounts off. Buy the new plate from MK, grind the old ones off and simply plug weld the new ones onto the outside of the transmission tunnel.

MikeR

posted on 9/11/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'd suggest that Syd is correct in principle here and the rest of you are right in practice.

IE we should all be running rubber mounts but due to limited use we get away with it. The problem with that diff mount might be the lack of support it gets - if you look at the diff mounts on the cars i've seen, they're basically solid from the top hole to the bottom hole - so there is much more metal to withstand the forces put on it.

As usual, no qualifications in this just using hopefully logical guessing. If i'm wrong i'd appreciate a numpty explanation why so i can understand myself for future reference.

mookaloid

posted on 9/11/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, so rubber mounting is good, but not this particular implementation?

I suppose this could be reinforced?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 9/11/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Think I would chop them off then Mark,get a couple of plates from MK and weld them in,if you leave it,they dont look very strong,there's a chance it could do a bit of damage if the diff breaks away,I am not saying rubber mount would not be a good idea,but you may be best sticking with something proven,you could aways fit a trt propshaft to cushion the drive.
mookaloid

posted on 9/11/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmm I think I'll do that Paul - as you say it's reasonably proven.

Cheers

Mark

MkIndy7

posted on 9/11/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
quote:

AND

I wasn't massively doubting what you'd said, I was just of the opinion that for as long as i've known and been involved with the Mk's which sounds about the same length of time as Jacko the story has been,

As Browny Confirms:

"diff mounts

Change them quick!!!
My first indy had it diff mounted like that, it lasted about 50 miles before it tore the lower mounts off. Buy the new plate from MK, grind the old ones off and simply plug weld the new ones onto the outside of the transmission tunnel."

Maybe Mk made them solid at first for your car and then later attempted to rubber mount it which later failed so they reverted back to solid mounting.

bob

posted on 9/11/08 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bob
quote:

AND

I wasn't massively doubting what you'd said, I was just of the opinion that for as long as i've known and been involved with the Mk's which sounds about the same length of time as Jacko the story has been,

As Browny Confirms:

"diff mounts

Change them quick!!!
My first indy had it diff mounted like that, it lasted about 50 miles before it tore the lower mounts off. Buy the new plate from MK, grind the old ones off and simply plug weld the new ones onto the outside of the transmission tunnel."

Maybe Mk made them solid at first for your car and then later attempted to rubber mount it which later failed so they reverted back to solid mounting.

Yes i think your right, i have been trawling old pics of other cars most of the afternoon and noticed cars that were earlier than mine were still hard mounted until i found deans car in the archives.

The only way to really put this one to bed is to either give martin a call or or phil/baz at MK sportscars.

AFAIK my chassis was built at martins house as it was ordered a few weeks before he moved into harrison drive, maybe martin would know if it was a customer add on.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.