Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petrol Pump Mounting
Nosey

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Petrol Pump Mounting

Do you think rubber mounts would be necessary for this pump or could I chance it without (I'm slightly caught for space where I am mounting it)?

Petrol Pump
Petrol Pump

DarrenW

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
If you are tight for space a strip of rubber betwen the mounting and chassis wont hurt. Otherwise you could get a bit of noise transmitted when its operating.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
clamp it in place and switch it on. Then decide how long you can stand the ticking. I lasted 2 days

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I lasted 8 years and still going - it is under the drivers seat in my land rover - transmission and engine noise drowns it out.

It is quite noticeable though - I wasn't aware of the need to fit isolation rubbers but may have a go at doing that.

Although the pump in the photo has earth lead (black wire) I think some may be earthed via the pump's body so be aware of that when fitting. (probably the earlier model)

tegwin

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Those facet style pumps are NOISY.... Would it shake itself to bits if its rigidly mounted?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Nosey

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers boys. It's a competition car so if I am listening to the ticking I think it means I amn't trying hard enough.....
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted mine to the GRP footwell on the falcon and it sounded like someone whacking the car with a screwdriver!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
That pre-filter is the spawn of the devil. Contains a sprung plastic or ceramic ball of some sort and it will block. Took me over a year of faffing around to finally work out why the car randomly stopped on motorways or going down to tesco, would restart after a minute or two and would then do 500 more miles without any trouble at all. Since I drilled a hole straight through it and added a £1 inline filter all has been well.
DarrenW

posted on 18/12/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Inteesting what has been posted. A previous neighbour of mine had a classic car, upgraded fuel pump to one similar to pic. Could defo hear it when he fired it up. He said a mod one day was to fit rubber mounts.

Filters - i recall a trackday once where a LCB member had issues with similar pre-filter. All i have is a cheapo filter before the pump and another just before the carbs. Work great. Search through Halfords shelves and you should find a large bodied inline filter for only a few £'s. I did use a smaller one but it got bunged up (after first 6 months on road some drillings from fitting sender unit worked their way through).

stu da rude

posted on 18/12/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
They are noisy mate, i run the exact same pump on my A30, and even with the isolation rubbers its still apparent even when running.
02GF74

posted on 18/12/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
That pre-filter is the spawn of the devil. Contains a sprung plastic or ceramic ball of some sort and it will block. Took me over a year of faffing around to finally work out why the car randomly stopped on motorways or going down to tesco, would restart after a minute or two and would then do 500 more miles without any trouble at all.

hmmm, not sure about that. the pump has some spring loaded ball but the filter I believe is a gauze.

I had same problem with the lightweight choking when trying to get about 15 mph.

bascially the rust particles and sand that were in the fuel tank block the filter. I remove, tap the filter so the bits fall out, refit and off I go again. I then drained and flushed both tanks.

Not had a problem since.

The facet filters are quire £££ too - I got a few from walmart in US as there is some production car that uses them.

IMO not worth bothering replacing but fit a plastic inline filter - cheaper and you can see if it is getting blocked.

ernie

posted on 18/12/08 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Try burton part no fsepf 805 in line filter. you can see all the rubbish coming thru and is easily cleaned out

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.