Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Xflow-4AGE 20v swap complete
Ham

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Xflow-4AGE 20v swap complete

As per title, I have swapped my modded Xflow for a 4AGE 20v, the conversion took around 5 months, had the car set up on a rolling road yesterday and had the first real drive, power run results were 99kw and 146 nM at the wheels....bog standard engine(more to come?)
The first drive was a revalation, way smoother than the Xflow and the power is awesome, the fact that this thing revs to 8500 without a fuss is mind blowing, I hate to say it but it blows the doors off the Xflow without breaking a sweat!

Should have done it ages ago.....

Cheers

02GF74

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
how much taller is the toyota engine?

Ham

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Just about the same height as the Xflow, although I have a chopped sump, the oil filler clears the boonnet by about 2mm

Cheers

Litemoth

posted on 18/12/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you're seeing the benefits of this bomb of an engine.
Have you got any photos of your sump modification? - I'm interested in doing the same....

02GF74

posted on 18/12/08 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ham
Just about the same height as the Xflow, although I have a chopped sump, the oil filler clears the boonnet by about 2mm

hmmmm not what I wanted to hear tTBH - I may want to reconsider going ahead with my 1660 engine swap......

bimbleuk

posted on 18/12/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ham,

Silvertop or Blacktop? Your power figures on that dyno are very similar to the dyno I use and indeed OMEX and RAW use a lot. If you've got a Silvertop then the Blacktop is actually even smoother and power peaks 400RPM higher than the earlier Silvertop. If you're reving to 8500RPM and till making power then it sounds like you're using a Blacktop.

To get the best from these engines you advance the cam early (VVT on the inlet cam) in the rev range then retard the cam again at around 7000RM to gain a little more top end. Seems to benefit the Blacktops more though.

The pic below is how I shortened my sump and gained a little capacity. This doesn't show the baffles very clearly though.

Shortened sump
Shortened sump

[Edited on 18-12-08 by bimbleuk]

Ham

posted on 19/12/08 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
Running a silvertop with a gotech Mfi ECU, my vvt kicks in at 2100 rpm and is de activated at 6800rpm, its revving to 8500, but peak power comes in at 7800 rpm, only point in going past that is to ensure I am in the band for the next gear!
Your sump looks very similar to mine, I have hinged flaps on the sump "wings" to conteract lateral oils surge in the sump as well

Cheers

Litemoth

posted on 19/12/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking out loud, I wonder if i could use a key safe as the sump add on. it would look pretty and save on some of the welding.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.