Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fiat uno engine in a locost
smart-locost

posted on 23/7/02 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
fiat uno engine in a locost

Hey folks

I was wondering if any bright spark out there thinks a fiat uno engine would fit into a locost without to much modification other wise and other 1ltr engine or under that would go in i know an uno engine aint a pinto but it might fit in across ways in the engine bay (well thats what i was thinking) please get back to me on this as its beggining to bother me because it is going to be my first car and at this rate i can`t put anything smaller than a 1600dohc pinto into it which will be well above my insurance levels

Chris Withington

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 23/7/02 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice for an engine,revs like hell ,small and light,bolt patern is the same as the old lada boxes so may be able to fit one of them,try to get a 16 valve lump,their mental!
ChrisW

posted on 23/7/02 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
..or the Uno turbo lump. Goes like stink (for about 5 minutes admittedly) but may be defeating the object of keeping insurance low.

How about a 1100 X-Flow? Surely that'll be similar insurance with none of the complications to fit it?

ChrisW

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Smoke Two Joints

posted on 23/7/02 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
it would be easier to find an engine from a small front engined rear wheel drive car, like a reliant robin,austin-healey sprite, mg midget, triumph herald. i think the sprite, midget and herald engines would be a little too heavy but the reliant engine would be perfect for a first car.This topic may be useful - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=774
Nick Davison

posted on 23/7/02 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
The fiat engine to gearbox bolt pattern on most fiat engines is the same. It will be worth checking to ensure that this is correct for the Uno engine, it probably is.
To chose a suitable gearbox and bell housing there are primarily 5 things to consider.

1 The size of the flywheel on the Uno and the size of the flywheel originally fitted to the new box.
2 The position of the starter motor.
3 The length of the gearbox input shaft and it's relation to the end of the crankshaft. Is it floating free and not touching the crank or is it supported in the end of the crank with a bearing.

4. The overall length of the bell housing of the original box and the new box.
5. The amount of HP and TQ you are putting through it.

The Lada housing and box would fit for flywheels of about 280mm diameter, the box is the same as fitted to the old Fiat 124. I would guess sub 100hp. 4 or 5 speed.

Other choices are Fiat 131 & 132. Three types of engine with two types of bell housing virtually all the same box (ignore any bo*****s talked about Abarth boxes).
1 Twin cam, big flywheel, good box, starter on the nearside. Quite a few about.
2. SOHC, same as above for the box very few about. I saw one yesterday in a breakers for £75.
3. Old pushrod 1600 & 1300. Same as the other two but with the starter on the off side, drivers. Rare, I have been looking for ages and loosing my hair over it. If you find one of these before me that is you off my Christmas card list forever.

Hope this helps

Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.