Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken camshaft bolt
speedyxjs

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Broken camshaft bolt

When i was putting the engine back together on Sunday, one of the camshaft bolts snapped.
I have looked everywhere and cant find another one and the only set i can buy is for the whole engine (a bit extreme for just one bolt.

At the risk of looking like an idiot, i would like to know if i can do without it.
The picture below is a rough sketch of what the brackety thing looks like. There is a camshaft bolt on one side of the cam and a head bolt the other side so it would still be held on. Rescued attachment untitled.JPG
Rescued attachment untitled.JPG

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

BenB

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you take out one of the other bolts, measure it up and get a replacement. A bolts a bolt after all is said and done.

I personally wouldn't risk running without it in place, especially when you've got more valves than most to bend!!!!!

speedyxjs

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Where can i get a replacement made up?

dinosaurjuice

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
its probably a stretch bolt. there not usually the kind of thing you can get made up. if it was me i would risk running without it. that head bolt will be taking most the stress.

i dont like to give risky advice... so probably best to source another...

iank

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Are they a special size/shape, or are they stretch bolts?

If they're not I'd replace with a high tensile cap head (12.9 probably) of the same length.

If they're stretch bolts I suspect it's best to replace them all as an engine set.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

owelly

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Given the size of the bolt and the siting of the head bolt, I'd be running without it. But it's easy for me to be brave with your engine............

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a stretch bolt then realistically you shouldn't be re-using them anyway!!!!!
speedyxjs

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
What is a stretch bolt?

thunderace

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
What is a stretch bolt?

type it into google

thunderace

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
its a camshaft post bolt
r1_pete

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
What is a stretch bolt?

A bolt which when torqued up stretches slightly to keep the components tight. The manual usually specifies torquing up and then angle tightening a further xx degrees.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
If the its the smaller cam bearing bolt and into an alley head then I doubt it would be a stretch bolt. Just go to a local (GOOD) bolt supplier with another one as a pattern and replace it. It will cost you pennies. It will be there to make sure that the cap is properly lined up before the head is fitted.
If its one of the main head bolts then buy a new set because they will be stretch bolts and you should be able to source them from a good engine/cylinder head repair workshop. If you have taken the head off then you will need to buy a new set of head bolts anyway.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

speedyxjs

posted on 3/3/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Its not a head bolt. Its much shorter. How can i tell if it is a stretch bolt? All the others went in fine, Its just the one that broke.

*davies144*

posted on 3/3/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
i bought my chassis with this already done to it but all the other chassis ive seen have a different support? and i cant find any thing in the book! Rescued attachment steering column support.JPG
Rescued attachment steering column support.JPG

flak monkey

posted on 3/3/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Measure it up and buy a set of new ones from a hardware supplier. If you cant get them I can get you a for them from my supplier.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mediabloke

posted on 3/3/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
It's tempting just to replace the bolt that snapped, but I'd err on the side of caution: if one has snapped, probably better to replace the set regardless (leaving the head bolts alone, of course).

Agree that the head / machine shop will be able to source them. Always worth getting on first-name terms with them.

Francis.

britishtrident

posted on 3/3/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hold on guys -- reality pill time.

Nearly all stretch bolts can be re-used --- the not re-using because they turn in toffee thing is largely an urban myth.

In any case if is a stretch bolt it will say in the WSM ---- camshaft bearing cap bolt is unlikely to be stretch bolt.

If it were me I would just use a cap head bolt (allen screw) -- as you can be sure it will be suitable high tensile grade.

iank

posted on 3/3/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Hold on guys -- reality pill time.

Nearly all stretch bolts can be re-used --- the not re-using because they turn in toffee thing is largely an urban myth.

Indeed, but if one stretch bolt of a set has snapped (over torqued or whatever) what are the chances of the others still being fine? - I think I'd err on the side of caution (depending on what they cost).

As you say, in this case it's probably just a regular bolt and can be replaced by something good quality of the same size.

[Edited on 3/3/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jollygreengiant

posted on 3/3/09 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
On the diameter of bolt it is likely to be to bold down the cam caps, it is most unlikely to be a 'stretch' type bolt (these bolts are tightened to literally 'just' below the elastic limit of the bolt, i.e. the point at which it starts to stretch, hence the term stretch bolts) as it would most likely pull the threads out of the alloy head, unless steel inserts were fitted.

Hence take one bolt down to your local bolt suppliers to use as a pattern and they will match it for you.

J.D.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

BenB

posted on 4/3/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yup. Like I said it's likely to be a standard bolt in which case any old bolt supplier will sell you a new one.
You can re-use stretch bolts in the same way you "can" re-use some interference fit fluid fittings but you shouldn't and if it all goes pete tong and kills the engine you feel a bit silly!!
You can tell if it's stretch partially from the description of how to tighten it in the Haynes book of lies. IE if it just gives torque figures its normal, if it gives "torque to X then give Y degrees more it's likely (but not definately) stretch.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.