Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto rebuild continues........part 6: Sump Cleaning
David Jenkins

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hate to say this, now you've started painting the sump - but had you considered shortening it for extra ground clearance?

DaveFJ

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Hate to say this, now you've started painting the sump - but had you considered shortening it for extra ground clearance?

yup, get it chopped!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

vindicator

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but it has to be done, chop it now. You have rebuilt the whole engine and if you are going to sell it on, the first thing they will say is the sump is too big........

You know you have to do the right thing......It is only the primer you have put on isn't it.......

timr.spaces.live.com---build blog

omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
have you seem how much it costs to get it chopped! and the time and effort it takes, whoever buys it can get it chopped! if i could tig weld i'd do it myself, but i can't
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
??? It is steel, maybe 2 mm thick max so can be MIG welded without any great difficulty.

Unless you are really skilled, it won't look as nice as TIG but then who is looking?

omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
can't mig either! i can't weld period and im trying to keep the rebuild cost to an absolute minimum. if some one could do it for a tenna they i would have it done but im guessing it will be a lot more than that as the oil pick up pipe will also need modifying.

[Edited on 19/5/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
oil pick up pipe i did by brazing with a cheap blow torch. sump i copped and mad a new plate for nothing but paid £20 to have it welded by a local engineering place....
the sump metal is VERY thin stell in places and is not good metal so can be a bitch to weld... i tried and just blew holes in it...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

twybrow

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Alex - you are welcome to use my MIG. I can help you too, but I wouldn't claim to be a great welder! I have welded plenty of structural bits on my car (eg engine cradle) and it works just fine! I have no idea what needs to be done though....!

By the way, how is my die grinder? I take it I have no stones left now then!?

omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
i only used one stone and a little bit of another, i was meant to give it you back at stoneliegh
vindicator

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
corrrrr, another offer of borrowing things.....I would snap his hand off Alex.....get another trade under belt.....welding.....mmmmm!!!!

We are all behind you!!!

timr.spaces.live.com---build blog

jpindy3

posted on 30/7/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
so whats next
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 30/7/09 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
if you get yourself a spare sump and do all the cutting as per david jenkins web site, i'll have a go at welding it for you.

(i say get a spare just in case it ends in disaster)

Total cost will be the return of my laser infra red temp thingy and the owing of a favour at some point in the future.

omega0684

posted on 18/9/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
ok guys so its been a while since i posted extra bits on the rebuild thread, but i plan to do some more over the weekend and put some more photo's up on monday.

for those who don't know my current pinto (that was in my car) dropped an exhaust seat into cylinder 2 & caused some rather nice divots in the top of the piston & around the coumbustion chamber on the head. so i've had to have 4 new stainless seats put in and have ended up rebuilding that one as well.

i just got the head back today with 4 new stainless exhaust seats, 4 new stainless valves, all the inlets have been reseated as well and the head has been skimmed.i also got a new piston and set of rings. All in for £160 cash, which i though was a bit of a bargain.

i will post up photo's of the damage if you want, more to follow...

[Edited on 18/9/09 by omega0684]

deano 777

posted on 2/10/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
hi, was this due to too much porting near the valve seat?, i have been taking notes for when i recon my spare head. Dean.
omega0684

posted on 13/10/09 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
hi dean, sorry for late reply, it wasn't due to too much porting, the valve seats that were put in were just incredibly shallow, i've had nice deep ones put in now though so they won't fall out
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 27/1/10 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
are there any updates from over christmas?

sebastiaan

posted on 9/12/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iscmatt
are there any updates from over christmas?

Or just before the next Christmas?

No, really, what happened to this in the end?

omega0684

posted on 22/2/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
hi guys,

im sorry i haven't updated the build thread for what looks to be, well, over a year! in that time i have built 2 others and done a few track days with the new engine.

The thread started as i was rebuilding a lonely pinto that was abandoned in the corner of a friends garage. it turned into a thread but then i got side tracked with other commitments, started a new job and was recovering from bad health.

now the pinto lies in the garage, waiting for a little more TLC, i'll see if i can put up some pictures of the engine now. its been sat on the engine stand for a while but i hardly have enough time to look after the DAX at the moment.

In the mean time if any of you want to u2u me questions tehn i will be more than happy to answer as best i can

All the best

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

Not Anumber

posted on 22/4/12 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone happen to know the oil capacity of a chopped pinto sump and whether the standard dipstick can still be used to show the level ?

Smaller intervals between oil changes ?

omega0684

posted on 22/4/12 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
when you remove the bottom part of the sump, you weld a small extension on the right hand side of the sump (none starter motor side) and you can also weld in a pipe section at the front. thus not compromises oil volume

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.