Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Griffin Power Systems...tickover problem
albertz

posted on 25/4/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Griffin Power Systems...tickover problem

I am just in the final stages of installing a new blacktop 2.0 Zetec into my Locost. I opted for the Griffin 'Total Ford Systems' equipment as it seemed simple to use and gave me the potential to upgrade later as funds allow. Anyway, i digress...!!

I have just fired the engine up for the first time this morning and most things seem OK. Unfortunately i could not get the OMEX 600 ECU to accept the new settings for my throttle potentiometer, i have to input the full closed and full open figures and save it to calibrate. When i try and enter the second number the first number seems to default back to 30 - any ideas on that one?

Also, the car seems to idle very fast at about 2300rpm. The inlet plenum has two tappings in it, one with a tapped hole and a bolt, with a small diameter cross drilled hole which i understand is for trimming the idle. Also there is another tapping (pipe) which is open ended. Obviously this is drawing loads of unmetered air into the system. However if i block it with my finger the engine stalls. I am not sure what the second tapping is for, Griffin said something about a servo connection, which i dont need.

The final thing is there is what looks to me like a vacuum hose from the pressure regulator on the fuel rail, i have nothing to connect that to, well nothing obvious to me!

Finally, the setup i have has the throttle body to the front of the car, what throttle cable have others used and how did you get round the issue of the cable needing to be pulled forwards i.e. away from the pedal box area for the throttle to open?

Anyone with any thoughts/experience of the system or general advice please shout.

Thanks

zilspeed

posted on 25/4/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting straight to the inlet plenum.

You have tappings on it and if you cover the big one, the engine stalls.

The fact that this stalls the engine means that the reduced air - with this closed - is not enough to run the engine.

Firstly, you need to block this permanently.

Then it's a case of balancing the idel between the throttle body stop - if it has one - and the small tapping with the screw in it.

I remember reading a Dave Walker article once which I will now paraphrase.
"Air cannot come down a wire, people sometimes forget that."

I think what he is saying is that high tickover can only be a result of too much fuel and too much air (with the engine warm and running on normal mixture.

I'm rabbitting now - I'll conclude.

Stop up the hole in the plenum, fiddle with the air inlet for the idle, fiddle with the mixture which might now be screwed.

Continue ad nauseum.

mark chandler

posted on 25/4/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
The vacumn pipe that is swinging around free needs to go into the inlet manifold, rather than block the spare hole get something that will fit in it with a hollow barb for the vacumn pipe to go on.

The locost way is get a set screw that is the correct size for the hole, drill the centre and solder in 1/2" of brake pipe, voila a vacumn take off.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 25/4/09 by mark chandler]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.