Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: petrol pump
davef

posted on 1/8/02 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
petrol pump

hi guys i am about to run a 1600 x flow cw twin 40 webers any ideas what rating electric fuel pump i should fit to give correct supply. cheers.
JohnFol

posted on 1/8/02 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression a carb has a float chamber that acts like a cystern, ie when full no more fuel can get in. Any surplus goes down a return pipe.
Could someone clarify?

johnston

posted on 1/8/02 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
the trouble is if you use too small a pump i.e. the standerd mechanical 1 it cant fill the float chamber quick enough under sustained high throttle so u effectivly run out of petrol.

although worked on a sunbeam 1.6 rally car on twin 40's and the mechanical pump was fine for that. so it should be fine for a x flow

theconrodkid

posted on 1/8/02 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you put a high pressure pump on you need a return pipe or the carbs will flood,maybee a pump of a carbed jag would do,injection is about 60psi thats a bit too much i think
ChrisW

posted on 1/8/02 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I used a standard mechanical fuel pump on a 1.6 CVH on 40's without any problems. The only thing I do know (and this may not apply to the X-Flow) is that you need downdraught carbs to do it otherwise there's not enough room for the pump.

I've actually got a Facet 'silver top' electric pump now because the CVH has gone up to 2 litre. It just uses the standard line (ie no return) and makes an interesting (or annoying depending on your viewpoint) tapping noise when it's running which is quite good at persuading you to take it easy when you realise how much louder it gets when you're thrashing the car... (makes you think of all the extra petrol it's pushing in!)

Anyway, back on the subject. I got it from SCA Race and Rally (the local place for that kind of thing when I lived with my parents). See this page http://www.sca-racerally.co.uk/engine.htm. It was about £60 I think.

Cheers, Chris.

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JohnFol

posted on 1/8/02 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
But surely a mechanical pump takes power away from the engine as it requires the cam to actuate it ..
ChrisW

posted on 1/8/02 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
yes, but.. you can push the petrol pump with one finger so I doubt you'd notice it, even with 20 fuel pumps!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.