Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: You only live once!
jimmy

posted on 1/8/02 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
You only live once!

I have thought, and thought, and thought,and I am at a dilema as to what engine to use in my locost.
I keep thinking,get a pinto cheap as chips 100 horse power straight forwardish instalation,but then I think the idea of these cars is performance and lots of it but cheap as possible.
I have decided ! F**k it Rover v8.
What v8 and box is the best to go for and how much should I pay,bearing in mind I don't want to start stripping and rebuilding just bung it in and run it.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/8/02 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
yep. And the reason they are fast is good power to weight.

Although the rover V8 is relatively light, its not a power house - i think as std about 160 - 180hp?

Have you seriously considered the bike engined route? High power, and minimal weight. That was what lotus aimed for.

atb

steve

UncleFista

posted on 1/8/02 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
RV8's from Land Rovers or Rangies are "tuned" for torque not outright power and are best avoided. My mates 101 was rolling roaded at less than 100hp at the wheels and that's normal.
The best RV8's to look for are the ones from P5s etc. high compression pistons as standard and old enough to qualify for the "visible smoke" emmisions test. There was one going on E-bay with a free rotting P5 thrown in, it went for sixty-odd quid ;(

Good luck

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

interestedparty

posted on 1/8/02 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to know more about which rover v8's are best to use, have a look at
http://www.rover-v8.co.uk

A reasonable SD1 engine on SU's should give you 160 at the flywheel, and 185 with a weber500/edelbrock manifold. If you buy one, make sure you get the 5 speed box and bellhousing as well, I've seen them advertised from around £150, and quite often won't need a rebuild if they've need well looked after, even at 80,000 miles.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

bob

posted on 1/8/02 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of auto's about like the SD1's manual box can be found on SD1 2600 and TR7's are same box.
There is also a trick to move gearstick nearer as sherpa box is the same but gearing different,remote is about 5" further back and bolts staight on.
The RV8 also weighs the same as pinto

jimmy

posted on 1/8/02 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advise.
I had considered a bike engine,but to be honest I've had lots of bikes in the past and have one at present which is for sale to fund my locost.
Theres not enough torque for me with a bike engine,and there a bit manic, lots of revs,lots of gear changes,lots of ebc clutches.I don't really want to pair my car down to a minimum as to do without a reasonable wind screen etc as I plan on long drives to the coast etc.I want the car to be a pleasure not a pain.
Don't get me wrong ,I don't under estimate the power potential of bike engines it is just that not much happens until you get at that max power which is 8,000rpm plus.
Don't forget the japs didn't design these engine's to pull 5-600kgs,and the old saying more power= more cubic capacity, IMO if I was to go the bike engine route I would get two GSXR 1127 's(120 bhp each)shop around and you'll get em with runing gear 4 about 600 each and they are bomb proof and one alone has more torque than any CBR 900.
No plumbing either as they are air/oil cooled.I think I will go rover v8.
Mind you,I voice my opinions but in truth I have never even ridden in a locost...... bike engined or not.
A couple of years ago I went to the harrogate kit car show,and a guy was giving rides in a dax for a fiver, one lap on a short curcuit lasting about a minute but I thought it was a bit of a rip off .

Jon Ison

posted on 1/8/02 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
all fair points, but i wunt swap my BEC for a dozen RV'8s, i can assure you that you never notice any "lack of tourque" i can pull full throttle cleanly in top, two up at not much over 30mph, and cruise around 30mph all day in 5th.....don't dimiss the power of a BEC till you've sat in one.....
Alan B

posted on 1/8/02 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Jimmy,

Have look at this build:

http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/Dax/index.html

Relevant because it's an RV8, and well documented. Still think the Dax and Westfield are somewhat overpriced IMO

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnston

posted on 1/8/02 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
i'm buildin mine wit a 2.1 pinto cos its free but either a k series or vauxhall 16v when money allows plenty of them turnin up in scrappies and loadsa tunin parts for them.

but my eventuall idea will be a mitsi turbo outta evo3 can take 500bhp with only a change of piston and cons and a good management program

jimmy

posted on 1/8/02 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have to get myself to a meeting and kindly blag a ride in someones car and try and get an insight into what is quick and what is'nt.I am only going off bhp and car weight.If only I'd paid a fiver for a run in that dax......?
Simon

posted on 1/8/02 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Jimmy,

Here's my 2p's worth.

I'm building using Sierra donor's 1.8 CVH lump. Done 154,000 miles and smokes like a chimney. Bit of work should be smoke free (ish). Donor was free!!

Once SVA'd / registered - in goes Rover V8. Chassis built 4 inches wider just for this purpose.

If you're interested in engine longevity, I just sold my Range Rover, which had had the engine (3.9 V8) rebuilt just before I bought it. Mileometer reading when I collected car was 206,000 miles.

As for torque, my (used to have) V8 (carb) SD1 would pull up a 1 in 10 hill at 30mph in 5th (which if I remember rightly was about 1500 rpm.

As for bike engines, I have Suzuki's finest (GSX1300R 'Busa). It will spin the rear wheel at 80 in the wet, pulls like the proverbial thingy (from 30 to 200 in top gear), does 45 mpg, rips bike tyres to pieces and needs servicing every 3000 miles. I got it 'coz I'm a bit lazy when it comes to changing gear (and it's quite good fun).

I want my Locost to be lazy, loud and quick.

There you go. Do what you want to. Just don't look for a RV8 till I've got mine

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.