Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Intercooler quandry
flak monkey

posted on 8/9/09 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Intercooler quandry

I have had 3 quotes, from 3 reputable intercooler manufacturers, and suprise suprise they all came back the same within £10.

GRS, Pace and Allard. All will make to my drawing without a problem. Pace can make a tapered core one but its an additional £100 on top which I can't justify.

Only question is, who do I go with?

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Guinness

posted on 8/9/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, assuming you can't split them on quality and given that you can't split them on cost, it's going to come down to timescale?

Mike

flak monkey

posted on 8/9/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Hmm, assuming you can't split them on quality and given that you can't split them on cost, it's going to come down to timescale?

Mike

Even that doesnt matter, GRS are busy, but even then they can all deliver for when i need it (2 months away yet)

Sera

Guinness

posted on 8/9/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
OK, then go for whatever will have the highest resale value / lowest depreciation if you come to split the car or sell it.

Mike

chrsgrain

posted on 8/9/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Go to whoever treated you the best in terms of customer service....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

FASTdan

posted on 8/9/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I know from years of reading passionford.com, RS owners club forum and xrtwo.com that the RS turbo lot always rated the GRS intercoolers. Pace were always seen as a poor alternative.

I'm pretty sure there were tests/figures to back up this preference but I cant remember details.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
graememk

posted on 8/9/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
why not go for a charge cooler ?
flak monkey

posted on 8/9/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
why not go for a charge cooler ?

Basically it comes down to space and cost. I can fit a decent sized intercooler in front of the rad and not have anything else to need to find room for in the engine bay. Also looking at the cost and additional complexity of the charger cooler, and the fact I am only running about 15psi of boost, I dont know if it is worth it?

Sera

l0rd

posted on 8/9/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
have you tried

forge motorsport?

02GF74

posted on 8/9/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
nothing on ebay that would fit? there's quite a few alloy radiator fabricators (mostly jap stuff).

flak monkey

posted on 8/9/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
nothing on ebay that would fit? there's quite a few alloy radiator fabricators (mostly jap stuff).

Pic below shows what I need. Not been able to find anything off the shelf so to speak.

I will say this though, I am more than happy to pay £300 for something which is made to fit my application rather than bodge something in there which isnt going to do such a good job.

My only issue is who to go with. I approached GRS, Pace and Allard knowing their good reputations. What I wasnt expecting is for them to all be the same price Rescued attachment Intercooler_sketches.jpg
Rescued attachment Intercooler_sketches.jpg

Sera

Ivan

posted on 8/9/09 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think I would go with the one who could tell me the most about the technical performance of the core they are to be using. It would show that they have some science behind what they are doing.
FASTdan

posted on 8/9/09 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:

I will say this though, I am more than happy to pay £300 for something which is made to fit my application rather than bodge something in there which isnt going to do such a good job.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you were doing a locost duratec install lol I guess that went out of the window when the S/C idea came along.

I'd be buying a £40 cossie cooler (behr cores, best in the world ) and making it fit lol. I run one on my XR2 turbo and it keeps charge temps well under control.

If you are buying a custom one though, I'd be looking at the core construction - i remember reading tests years ago with some well known aftermarket manufacturers and they didnt perform well at all. I think a lot of it has to do with the internal make up of the vessels??

cossie intercoolers are cheap as chips for a guaranteed well built unit.

15psi on track will need good cooling I'd say.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
FASTdan

posted on 8/9/09 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:

I'm sure I read somewhere that you were doing a locost duratec install lol I guess that went out of the window when the S/C idea came along.

I'd be buying a £40 cossie cooler (behr cores, best in the world ) and making it fit lol. I run one on my XR2 turbo and it keeps charge temps well under control.

If you are buying a custom one though, I'd be looking at the core construction - i remember reading tests years ago with some well known aftermarket manufacturers and they didnt perform well at all. I think a lot of it has to do with the internal make up of the vessels??

15psi isnt big boost, but on track will need good cooling I'd say.

FASTdan

posted on 8/9/09 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add also Karl Norris (Norris Motorsport) does a double cossie cooler. 2 on top of each other. looking at your dims though it'd be wider than 350 so would cover the end caps of your rad, dunno if that'd be a problem.
flak monkey

posted on 8/9/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan

15psi on track will need good cooling I'd say.

It is a budget install, the basic engine install, with everything you need to run NA came in at under £1k, including the cost of the megasquirt ecu (£700 without). The supercharger will be adding another £2k to that cost though.

The cossie coolers are 600mm wide, so double the width of anything which will fit up the front of a locost I am afraid.

I dont intend to use the car on the track, certainly not regularly anyway.

Quite a few people in the know reckon that 1 bar is borderline on even needing an intercooler, especially with a rotrex as they dont heat the air up as much as a rootes/gm charger. Basically I am putting on in for piece of mind.

I will ask some questions about the sirts of cores which they all use.

Cheers,
David

Sera

Ivan

posted on 8/9/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David - have you ever had a look at this site - theres a huge amount of very practical info re blown cars and their controls plus intercooling -
well worth a good few hours of your time searching through the years of information.

http://autospeed.com/S_10/cms/section.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.