Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi A3 2.0 TDi issues!
albertz

posted on 28/9/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Audi A3 2.0 TDi issues!

I have recently got my car back after an accident repair and having noticed a strange problem. The car is a 2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport. I got hit at slow speed at the back of the car by an HGV, the impact knocked the car forward and into a wall. The damage all appeared to be cosmetic i.e. front and rear bumpers, new boot lid, back window etc. The work has all been done and the car looks spot on.

At the time the bumper was being replaced I bought a tow bar and the garage fitted that for me as an extra, saying as the bumper was already off it made sense to fit it then. The tow bar was from Towsure and supplied with a dedicated wiring loom to be plugged in.

As I drove the car home from the garage, after a few miles the car seemed to lose all power. After a restart it was fine again until under heavy load where it would lose all power again needing a restart. After the 2nd time the engine management light came on. I booked the car into my local garage for a diagnostics check, apparently the code is 16618 (if that means anything to anyone) boost pressure regulator. Do you think this could have been caused by anything during the accident?

The other two symptoms I have noticed since getting the car back is that the turbo waste is very noisy, a really audible whoosh and also the car does not seem quite as responsive as it was before.

Do you think this is all just coincidence or potentially as a result of the accident or as a result of the tow bar wiring loom changes?

The final thing that has also happened since getting the car back is that the brake pad warning light is continually on, the pads are all fine and the wear sensor seems to be intact as well according to the garage?!!! Annoying coincidence or something more related to the other issues?

Any help appreciated.

MikeR

posted on 28/9/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help thinking the exhaust is connected to the turbo etc .... big hit at the rear will push the exhaust .....

Get the complaint in early otherwise they may just claim your trying to add things to the warrenty claim.

Breaker

posted on 28/9/09 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Most cars have a wastegate/variable turbo geometry that is controlled by vacuum or electrical actuator.

Perhaps you can check all the vacuum hoses - that are connected to your turbo - for leaks. Or if your turbo is electrically controlled; check the connections on the actuator.

rusty nuts

posted on 28/9/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Check the turbo hoses haven't split /come off
DarrenW

posted on 29/9/09 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Its possible that they may have had to take bits off the front to fix others. Apparently the turbo hoses can come off, ive been told the symptons are low boost pressure and more audible whoosh noises. Easy fix. If its not that then get it back in quick. Next course of action is probs for you to notify insurance of accident management company, they will probs appoint a motor engineer to come out and take a look. If they say further work is needed then it will be called back in. Depends if what you are experiencing is result of the accident or not, its a strong coincidence but i had something similar and got no-where.

Good luck.

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/9/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I am an estimator in a VAG bodyshop, I would agree that it is the intercooler hose connections or a cracked intercooler.

If you are happy with the work done, go back to the bodyshop, don't report them to the insurance co unless they deserve it - play fair and they will fall over themselves to help you.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

albertz

posted on 30/9/09 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions and the tips. I phoned the bodyshop yesterday and mentioned it. They have given me a first class service, but unfortunately they are more body spraying, panel repairs etc than mechanics. Therefore i intend to phone the insurance today and register the problem, they may then instruct someone else to look at it for me.

Hopefully i will get it sorted, because i love the car and used to think the performance was very impressive before the accident.

Thanks again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.