Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Power Commander.... does it need mapping?
Major Stare

posted on 16/11/09 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Power Commander.... does it need mapping?

Currently biding for a Power Commander on fleabay - for a 2003 R1.

Do i need to download a map and run it?... if so how far off would this be? Or is it not worth it?

Jon "FISH"

nitram38

posted on 16/11/09 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
That and a rolling road.......
For IVA you will need an emissions specific map

A1

posted on 17/11/09 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
you just download all the maps from the website, then put them off, you can tweek them for best performance, rolling road would be a good plan though, but not necessary. I noticed a huge difference in power using one of them.
Major Stare

posted on 17/11/09 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1I noticed a huge difference in power using one of them.

A huge difference

I just wanted to know, if i installed a map, would it be better than it is currently as stock?

Jon "FISH"

Gergely

posted on 17/11/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have been told that I could actually damage the engine if running it with a totally incorrect map. Too rich or too lean, not good if pushed really hard - on track for example. So a rolling road session is required I think - unless you have exactly the same setup as someone else and you can get the map from them.
My 2 ps worth...
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 17/11/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, you can down load maps but these are maps made for bike specific set-ups of various air filter/exhaust combinations; From stock to custom (ie. Standard air filter and exhaust, K+N filter and stock exhaust, etc).
You'll not find one for a car set-up but someone on here might send you one they've done. They're OK as a starting point but will need tweeking. I started like that and then tweeked the map using a JAW lambda senson and a bit of "feel" and got to a usable map that was a big improvement.
However, I then had it rolling road mapped and the difference is VERY noticable! No flat spots or hesitation and more power...right through the range. It's the improved drivability more than the power improvment that makes it worth while.
You could spend ages playing with it on the road but it's very difficult to set all rev and throttle positions while dealing with road hazards!

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Triggerhappy

posted on 17/11/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
i Have to put some emphasis on that the powercommander is an tweaking instrument to alter fuleing.
Just that!

It will not add horses or anything if not adjusted correctly under resonably controlled enviorment. It will let YOU add or take away fuel under different load conditions...rpm/TPS value is the X and Y axle...on top of what the ECU does when it considers all other sensors.
And yes, it will let you destroy your engine if you take away to much fuel.

Having that said, as earlier stated...you will NOT find "the perfect" map on powercommanders web site as NON of those maps taken your air inlet nor your exhaust configuration or fuel pressure in account wich is not anything like the bike....

Reason for you getting the power commander is the ability and great option of getting YOUR fueling right for YOUR exact installation (inlet>Exhaust, fuel pressure etc) So if you invest in the instrument...get it set-up right....then enjoy an perfect fueling!!

Of cource the "good enough" rule applies.
i would not set for less than an rolling road base mapping and final tuning with AFR instrument on the real road.

An now to answer your question:
You can download an 0 (zero) map that basically puts the powercommander to rest..it will do nothing to fuel map so you safley can have it installed without it doing any alterations to what you have today, connect your laptop to it and you can monitor RPM and TPS. Of cource the mapping option is there and please seek an good tuner with rolling road to at least do the base mapping with an AFR instrument and good knowledge.

[Edited on 17/11/09 by Triggerhappy]

Im from Sweden, so im escused...The Muppet drummer for president!!

Major Stare

posted on 17/11/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all.

Im now in two minds...

Leave engine as it is?
Buy Power Commander and K&N, then save up for a RR before fitting?

Jon "FISH"

adithorp

posted on 17/11/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
With a different exhaust (and induction? ) you could be running too weak without one and be risking damage.
Only way to know is to put wideband lambda on it and see what it's running at. Won't be ideal mixture.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Major Stare

posted on 17/11/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust has tuned primarys connected to a Techcraft repacable can.
Induction is standard apart from the box turned 180deg to fit.

Concerns now i could be damaging the engine.

Perhaps i need to post a Wanted topic for a map?????

Jon "FISH"

Triggerhappy

posted on 17/11/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
If the price is right , buy it and load an zero map, save up for RR session or weld in an Lambda bunge to your exhaust and borrow an friends wide lambda equipment and then hit the road (with friend and laptop) and do an crude mapping. Aim for aprox AFR 12~13 under high TPS >60% and aprox 14 under low drag coasting.... im sure people knowing your specific engine will fill in on those values...

franky

posted on 17/11/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
buy it and get it mapped. It's worth doing.
Triggerhappy

posted on 18/11/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thats the clever question you don´t know the answer to until you had it done.

Best way to check if you are of in fueling is to use an AFR gauge and then have an testdrive with it.

An moore straight way to answer would be...on my 4 latest bikes (ZX10R-04 , R1-04 and GSXR1000-03 and -05) the mapping was imroving register from "some" to YEAH! As an collective (my own bikes as well as my friends...wich in latest years would give an experience base from something like 30 bikes ,all R-bikes) answer is that non of them got an less than noticable improvment...altering modestly in inlet outlet or in BEC case usually also fuelpressure alterations it will definetly be an crisper ride adjusted...and if your lucky some NICE gains in RWP and smooth powercurve.

But if you expect +15Hp all over just by downloding an map...then im sorry you will not be satisfied.

Just do it!

zx10r posing ;)
zx10r posing ;)

[Edited on 18/11/09 by Triggerhappy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.