Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall 16v XE height/ground /bonnet clearance
NS Dev

posted on 10/4/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall 16v XE height/ground /bonnet clearance

I will soon be starting to build a Stuart Taylor chassis/bodywork based locost, using a Vauxhall 16v XE engine. Does anybody know about the ground/bonnet clearance with this engine. I was planning to use the Manta 1800 sump (winged alloy thing) but I looked at a Westfield Vauxhall at Donington today and that had a westfield sump (only about 75mm high) and still just touched the bonnet with the cam cover. Anybody done this sort of thing and know anything about the clearances?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/4/04 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
You wont beable to use the Manta sump... get a 8v steel one and shorten it.. or buy a rip off caterham/westfield one. Or you can get them other places bit cheaper

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

NS Dev

posted on 10/4/04 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I take it that the manta sump isn't low enough then? Have you tried this sump and found it too deep to get a decent ground clearance?
david walker

posted on 11/4/04 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that a Manta sump would be too wide anyway. Neither will there be any height/depth saving.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/4/04 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yeh, it'll probably hit the chassis. If nt it'll scrape the ground. It's a largish engine for the car... does go in, even the turbo engine does fit. So just check the ground/bonnet clearance when final fitting. Dont try and fit the injection system in tho... go for carbs/tb's

[Edited on 11/4/04 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

M@Triton

posted on 11/4/04 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Why not stick to a known engine configuration as it saves lots of hassle and would make the car easier to sell in the future.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 11/4/04 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
stick with the Xe its worth extra work, its got a lot more power/torque than a zetec and can give blades etc a run for the money. In my MK ive got about 35-40mm clearance cam cover to bonnet, 85mm ground clearance using Yukspeed big wing sump.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/4/04 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by M@Triton
Why not stick to a known engine configuration as it saves lots of hassle and would make the car easier to sell in the future.

errrr last time i looked Vx XE was a known engine configuration.... especially as they fitted tonnes of them to Cateringvan and Westfields, plus all the others

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

NS Dev

posted on 12/4/04 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yes Ben!! Just to agree with you there, the Vauxhall is third to the crossflow and pinto in the popularity stakes in sevens!! Saw two at donington track day on Sat!! Plus, as was said, 204bhp with throttle bodies (that's what my current engine made on the dyno anyway before anybody questions it!) and internally standard cannot be bad! If you work out the power to weight is beats up to 150hp bike engines!

Just to wobble on some more, and I know you are right really Ben, but does everybody commenting on here know the Manta sump that I am talking about? It is sold by various people (like SBD etc) for £170 + as a "lowline bigwing alloy sump", but is just a standard 1800 manta one!! That's not the same one that yukspeed sell is it?

Next question, can you (given someone with a TIG) shorten and reweld/baffle etc the astra sump? It's cast alloy but I know of a lot of cast alloy sumps that have been modified and TIG welded up.

If not then I'll have to trawl about for a steel 8V sump but scrappies don't like losing sumps of their engines!! Anybody got an 8V sump in the Leics area?

JJM

posted on 12/4/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
these were offered to me but i need them for a different application.I can put you in touch with the seller.

modified manta. Rescued attachment DSCF0029sumpmanta.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0029sumpmanta.JPG

JJM

posted on 12/4/04 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Modified astra. Rescued attachment DSCF0037sumpstd.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0037sumpstd.JPG

JJM

posted on 12/4/04 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
SBD. Rescued attachment DSCF0033sumpsbd1.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0033sumpsbd1.JPG

david walker

posted on 12/4/04 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
NS - I know which Manta sump you are on about - Yes.

I don't know if it's OK for sure because I haven't tried but I don't think you'll get one between the bottom chassis rails on a Locost.

If you are the NS I think you are (Autograss) then you ought to be aware that a great many of your fellow Class 9 racers run std type but modified and baffled sumps on their XE Vauxhalls which is easily done with a TIG.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

NS Dev

posted on 13/4/04 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave!! I was going to ask if this was Dave Walker of Newark Engines!! Thanks for that, I'm happy now I know I can mod the astra sump, I'll go for that so I am certain on the ground clearance issues. I had just heard of some problems welding the alloy used on the Astra sump, but I guessed that these were not correct, now confirmed! Thanks again, Nat (yes you're right - class 9 L25)
NS Dev

posted on 13/4/04 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
JJM, was the SBD sump for sale? If so how much (you can email me on n.seviour @ntlworld.com)
JJM

posted on 13/4/04 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
u2u and email sent mate.
ned

posted on 14/4/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
there was an sbd sump for sale on the westfield forum before easter, haven't checked back since. i bought mine new from westfield which i think was a mistake at the price i paid. anyway, there are some pics of said sump on my website fitted and not fittred etc etc.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.