Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good day at the office
norfolkluego

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Good day at the office

Well good day in a freezing cold garage (don't seem to have them in the office!).
After a couple of false starts with the mounts the engine's finally in and all bolted down, gearbox mount all sorted and prop now nicely centred in the transmission tunnel. Carbs trial fitted and look good. Now the questions

There appear to be two fuel lines on the Fireblade carbs (red lines) why, which one does the Filter King feed?
Also there appears to be some sort of slider thing mecanism in front of the butterflies that seems to be internally connected to the tube on top (yellow lines), seems to be vacuum operated somehow but how? Rescued attachment Carb3.jpg
Rescued attachment Carb3.jpg

tul214

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel to the bottom pipes(brown t-piece). The top pipes are all breathers and can just vent to air or into an airbox.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

MakeEverything

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Is the "Tube Thing" not the vacuum feed, and the pipe across the top a balance pipe?

The vacuum lifts the carb sliders, but this is a vqacuum feed to something else i think?? The vacuuim is normally generated by the carb?? (on a car at least) so maybe this just needs blanking off.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MakeEverything

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Is the "Tube Thing" not the vacuum feed, and the pipe across the top a balance pipe?

The vacuum lifts the carb sliders, but this is a vqacuum feed to something else i think?? The vacuuim is normally generated by the carb?? (on a car at least) so maybe this just needs blanking off.

Haviong said all that, it looks too big for a vacuum pipe, so i reckon tul 214 is right and it is a breather that should have a filter attached.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

scootz

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Re. the 'slider thing mechanism' - are they not Flat-Slide Carbs???

I'm just confused when you say there are butterfly's behind them as I've never seen a flat-slide AND butterfly arrangement...

It's Evolution Baby!

norfolkluego

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely a butterfly behind the slider thing, I had a peep. I got Luegojnr to suck on the top pipe and it does start to lift the slider.

[Edited on 5/12/09 by norfolkluego]

norfolkluego

posted on 5/12/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Haviong said all that, it looks too big for a vacuum pipe, so i reckon tul 214 is right and it is a breather that should have a filter attached.

It does seem to be the vacuum pipe that operates the sliders, just can't work ut what creates the vacuum,

rusty nuts

posted on 5/12/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
The piston going up and down the bores creates the vacuum
tul214

posted on 5/12/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
The top tubes are called 'air vent tubes' and are attached to the bikes air box.

There are more informed people on here but the slider works like the old SU carbs and alters the choke size according to the amount of air being sucked in so move up against the diaphragm and sping in the top, hence why bike carbs are considered smoother than Webbers et al which have set chokes.

I was sent a pdf of the manual for the CBR 600 carbs that are the same but slightly smaller that I can send you but mine where set up at Boggs with the vent pipes to air and they are fine.

Hope this helps,

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

norfolkluego

posted on 5/12/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
So this 'tube' doesn't connect to anything, the vacuum connection between the cylinder and the slider (to open it) is made by the carb body, correct? Rescued attachment Carb4.jpg
Rescued attachment Carb4.jpg

meany

posted on 5/12/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
this maybe of help. checkout section 5.

http://www.smcc.dk/pdf/honda/honda_cbr1000f_service_manual.pdf

ashg

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
all you need to do is connect the fuel and throttle cable.

i would seriously reccomend getting them setup on a rr properly. i can guarantee that they will be dangerously under fueling the car at anything above 3.5/4k rpm.

i went to atspeed racing in essex yesterday and had my carbs properly setup. took half a day but the cars power delivery feels so so smooth and so much more powerfull. tick over is also now perfect and the cruse is spot on. they charge £80 an hour which i thought was bloody good as they really know what they are doing.

what was best about the whole thing was i had a really nice time with a bunch of chaps that i felt completly comfortable with working on my car.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

tul214

posted on 6/12/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
One other thing is that the general advice is to get rid of the car fuel pump and the filter king and put in a bike fuel pump.

I have heard of people making the F.K. work but the bike pump shuts off when there is enough pressure so it does not flood the carbs.

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.