Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine block damage second look (image heavy)
Irony

posted on 16/3/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Engine block damage second look (image heavy)

I bought a block on ebay for my Rover 3.5 v8 and the auction said 'rebuilt and reconditioned, honed and new bearings'. But on winning the auction for 250ish the seller said that he'd noticed a mark on the block and wanted to send me a image. You guys came to the conclusion it was corrosion caused by poor anitfreeze. But the sharp eyed among you noticed a dink in the piston face. I then got the seller to send me more pics of the bores.

block damage
block damage

blockdamage2
blockdamage2

block damage4
block damage4

[img]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/P160310_12.59[01].JPG[/img]

[img]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/P160310_12.58[01].JPG[/img]

One of the images shows a actual chunk out of the piston face. I am not a engine genius but my first thoughts are 'run away' 'run away'. The seller has been a real nice fella though and a credit to ebay. What thinks you guys??

[Edited on 16/3/10 by Irony]

Irony

posted on 16/3/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
[img] block damage 7
block damage 7

[/img]

skinned knuckles

posted on 16/3/10 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like you already know the answer. it doesn't look too good to me. those cylinder walls should not look so pitted, especially as there appears to be evidence of honing on them. and the piston looks a bit pitted.

imho it actually looks like the head has been off this engine for a while, its got wet and rusted to bits and someone has made a bloody good go of cleaning it up

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

SteveWalker

posted on 16/3/10 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
sounds like you already know the answer. it doesn't look too good to me. those cylinder walls should not look so pitted, especially as there appears to be evidence of honing on them. and the piston looks a bit pitted.

imho it actually looks like the head has been off this engine for a while, its got wet and rusted to bits and someone has made a bloody good go of cleaning it up

Rover V8 is an alloy block, so it won't have rusted. That looks like a porous casting - it'll have been like that from new.

AdrianH

posted on 16/3/10 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like a hairline crack in that last picture running from the cylinder bore around and back to the bore again.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/3/10 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
I think you bought a donor engine for a v8 table.

Go to IKEA and buy a piece of table glass clean up block and sell as v8 table and you should make a small profit.

My wife is in for a suprise soon....ive got a block lined up and it will just get put into the lounge when she pushes off to karate

[Edited on 17-3-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

skinned knuckles

posted on 17/3/10 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles

Rover V8 is an alloy block, so it won't have rusted. That looks like a porous casting - it'll have been like that from new.

good point well made that man! I'm so used to looking a pinto's, thats the only engine i seem to think about.

either way, still wouldn,t touch it.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

gazza285

posted on 17/3/10 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
The block might be alloy, but the bores are iron and will rust.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 17/3/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
The block might be alloy, but the bores are iron and will rust.

^^^ he is right - steel liners I believe, or cast iron, well, some sort of iron that will rust, given the right conditions.

bear in mind that the piston rings do not sweep up to the top 10 mm or so so it should not matter that much.

difficult decision but best to buy an engine that you are confident in and spend a bit of money - it is a right pain afterwards to fix it, which alwyas happens when you have least money, least time, etc.

AndyGT

posted on 17/3/10 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
what condition was the hed gasket in? Do you think it was sealing? Could explain the pitting...
Did you do a percentage leakage test before stripping?

As ^^^^^ , is that an hairline fracture or just a scratch? Would a skim and new liners not surfice?

All these are just suggestions as its not easy to see from any images and always easier to analyse on the spot/in real life...

Good luck

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 17/3/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
The first pic is definately from corrosion due to inadequate anti-freeze as I think BT mentioned on the other thread. That wouldn't be a great concern to me as long as it's not intruding into the gasket sealing area.

However, the picture of the bore is not something I'd expect to see if the engine has been "reconditioned". It's simply been given a light hone and slapped back together. The line extending around the bore looks like a casting fault in the liner, but the amount of general pitting in the liner suggests this engine has been standing full of water for some time. I wouldn't pay £250 for it.

robinj66

posted on 17/3/10 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about dinks in the face of the piston unless they are really deep. I also wouldn't be too worried about the corrosion around the waterways - I've checked the pics from my RV8 rebuild and the same thng is present - should be OK provided the head gasket surrounds the corrosion.

Hopefully my pic is attached - without the gasket. Been running since 2006 with no probs

The defect in the liner/ (cylinder wall) is more worrying as it's prohibitively expensive to have new liners fitted. For a second opinion I would post your pics and queries here V8 Owners Site

You can also check the engine number on that site and make sure that engine is the right spec for you. Bit difficult to tell from the pics but 39***** engines are either low compression R/R or factory recons. Rescued attachment P1280013.JPG
Rescued attachment P1280013.JPG

Agriv8

posted on 17/3/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
if it was my money i would not be spending £ 250 on that.

The marking in the bores is the main reason for this. highlighted bellow

Description
Description

It looks like it had been stood for a while with water in the bores. the liners are steel so will rust. To do it properly that requires a re-bore and +20 pistons + rings

Light pitting on the piston crown can be ignored

Light pitting ont the top of the liners can be ignored IF this is above the Top Piston ring .

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Irony

posted on 17/3/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I thought you'd all say that. Oh well I shall let the seller know I don't want it.

Cheers fellas.

Agriv8

posted on 17/3/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pre 95 block with proof of age sat in my garage let me check it over and I can send you details photo's.

It was rebuilt by me and a mate for SVA puposes and probably only done a couple of thousand miles.

From memory the cam and listers went into my 4.2

ps up in yorkshire so collection / delivery may be possible.

U2u if intrested

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

procomp

posted on 17/3/10 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Cant see to clearly on the crap screen here. But is it corrosion or also signs of pre ignition / Detonation. Either way it's scrap.

Do like the table though. wonder if the crank can be connected to an electric motor to fire cans of Stella out of the bores straight in to your lap. Lol

Cheers Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.