Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Xflow sump split - how best to repair?
ShaunB

posted on 27/7/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Xflow sump split - how best to repair?

I had a couple of minor offs at Cadwell a couple of weeks ago and during one of those I obviously caught the sump on the kerbing putting a dent in the sump base right near the drain plug and causing a small crack in the steel. Xflow sump split
Xflow sump split

I obviously can't lay a bead of MIG over it as it'll most likely burn away the thin steel where the washer seats, so what would you lot recommend? Brazing, Soldering, Chemical metal?

This is a baffled sump, so replacement isn't a straightforward option.

Cheers,
Shaun.

austin man

posted on 27/7/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
braze it from the inside ore weld from the inside

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

blakep82

posted on 27/7/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
can't think of a reason why you can't mig it.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ShaunB

posted on 27/7/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
braze it from the inside ore weld from the inside

Good thought, but the captive nut and the welded in baffle plate mean there's insufficient access from the inside.

quote:

I'm worried about melting away the thin steel where the sealing washer sits. Perhaps I'll get some thin sheet out of the scrap bin and play...

[Edited on 27/7/10 by ShaunB]

blakep82

posted on 27/7/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
how thin is it? i'd have thought to have the thread cut in, and a good flat seal, i thought it would be fairly thick?
no experience of xflows right enough

or mash some chemical metal epoxy resin into it. don't know how much i'd trust it though

[Edited on 27/7/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

NigeEss

posted on 27/7/10 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Likewise.
It's possible to mig very thin stuff. You may chase a hole at first but it can be done
then grind flat with one of those flap disks in the angry grinder.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

thefreak

posted on 27/7/10 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mind me asking where you got the sump from? I'm looking to get one chopped and baffled and not having much luck.
MikeRJ

posted on 27/7/10 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon that's easily MIGable, you don't need massive penetration, just a good bead of weld with no pinholes. Clean it up with some solvent and burn of any oil in the cracks with a blowlamp to make sure you don't get any contamination.
David Jenkins

posted on 28/7/10 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Be aware that the metal is VERY thin on the curved parts of a x-flow sump - as I found out when I shortened mine. You'll find the flat surfaces are about 1 - 1.5mm thick, but where the metal was stretched to make the curves it goes down to 0.5mm or less.

Here's mine after cutting the bottom off - shortly after I moved the sump plug nut further down, to a new hole. The metal looks thicker than it really is, due to the rough edges after sawing.

I managed to MIG it, but I did have a 1.5mm steel plate underneath to soak up the extra heat.

You could braze it quite easily, as you're only filling up a crack. However, you will have to make sure that the crack is *really clean* before you start. Soaking the edge of the sump in solvents, boiling it in detergent, and so on. If there are any traces of oil in there then the braze won't flow and fill the crack.

Had you thought about cutting out the whole section and replacing it with new metal? The sump plug is just a hole with a nut tacked on the inside - the plug's washer seals against the outer surface, so as long as that bit's flat & clean then the shape of the remainder is irrelevant. I had to do this when I shortened my sump - it's easy. Just don't put the plug on the bottom...

02GF74

posted on 28/7/10 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
instead of welding the crack, how about making a shaped plate that goes over the area, including hole for supl plug?

the thicker metal should reduce risk of blow through plus you don't need to worry about cleaning your crack out.

mark chandler

posted on 28/7/10 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like the bung is brazed so you will need to get the split brazed up or this will all fall apart and fizzle when you MIG.

Of course you could cut out the bung and relocate to a safer position and weld a bit of protection over the area.

No need to use the ford bung, you could weld a big nut on the inside of the sump and create a new bung.

Regards Mark

anup

posted on 28/7/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
If you need a replacement, I think I have a spare in the garage.

Get in touch if so

David Jenkins

posted on 28/7/10 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Looks like the bung is brazed so you will need to get the split brazed up or this will all fall apart and fizzle when you MIG.

On mine the nut was part of a steel tab that was spot-welded to the inside of the sump (you can see it in the picture in my earlier post).

The nut has nothing to do with the oil seal - it's the nylon washer under the head of the plug that seals against the outside of the sump. The thread just holds it in place.

If yours is brazed then you can just hack it off and start again (or braze a repair, as stated earlier).

[Edited on 28/7/10 by David Jenkins]

ShaunB

posted on 28/7/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses.

My threaded nut is as David describes, attached to a metal tab which is spot welded in place, rather than brazed. It looks like the metal about 1mm thick, possibly thinner after being planed down by the kerbing.

I'll have a practise with the mig on some thin sheet and give it a go. As has been suggested I can always plate over this hole and put one in further back. I've got some 2mm sheet so I was thinking of adding a layer covering that forward edge to give it a bit more protection.

Anup - I may well be in touch.

thefreak - It came with this engine, but I have a couple of photos of the inside that I could send to you. I thought all the baffling had been added by hand, but looking at David's photo it would seem that there is a plate there as standard and it's simply been extended.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 28/7/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
....should reduce risk of blow through plus you don't need to worry about cleaning your crack out.

????

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 28/7/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
Mind me asking where you got the sump from? I'm looking to get one chopped and baffled and not having much luck.

Vulcan engineering may be worth a call?

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/7/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
The sump is 16g, heavy enough to arc weld if you wanted to!

Easiest option is to make up a plate 2" x 2" with a sump plug sized hole in the middle. Put the plug in the plate and fasten it into the threaded hole and tighten. Peen the plate onto the sump and weld around the periphery.

This would also reinforce the area for the next time you bottom out!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Marcus

posted on 28/7/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
As above, migging to that would be a fairly simple task. I managed to Mig a lawnmower grass box up, was like steel foil!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ShaunB

posted on 28/7/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
A bit of practise on some 1mm sheet gave me some confidence so I gave it a go.

First a run over the split and the gouge that was just behind it:

Split welded
Split welded

Inside shot showing how the nut is attached and reasonable penetration:

Inside Sump
Inside Sump

Ground that back and smoothed it with a flap wheel, think I may have just broken through again, but I'll check tomorrow by sitting some solvent in it. If it is I'll just over-plate it as has been recommended:

Split  dressed
Split dressed

Then I added some protection for the leading edge with some 2mm sheet:

Sump guard
Sump guard

Finally an inside shot showing the added baffle extension:

Baffled Xflow Sump
Baffled Xflow Sump

Thanks for all the comments - very helpful forum as always

[Edited on 28/7/10 by ShaunB]

David Jenkins

posted on 29/7/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a good 'industrial' solution to the problem!

Just make sure that the area where the face of the sump plug will fit is nice and flat, to give the washer the best chance of keeping the oil in.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/7/10 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
The sump is 16g, heavy enough to arc weld if you wanted to!

Easiest option is to make up a plate 2" x 2" with a sump plug sized hole in the middle. Put the plug in the plate and fasten it into the threaded hole and tighten. Peen the plate onto the sump and weld around the periphery.

This would also reinforce the area for the next time you bottom out!

Just what I was about to add...
No, I wasn´t, but I`ve seen it before and works well on Stamped Sumps, not so on cast ones as you only move the place where it will crack somewhere else.

ETA:
Damn!!!
Talk about SLOW!!!

[Edited on 7/29/2010 by Angel Acevedo]

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.