Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinions please - is this reasonable?
contaminated

posted on 17/8/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Opinions please - is this reasonable?

A while ago I found out that there was a recall on the front lower wishbones on my car after I spoke to another owner (I think there are 3 of us in the UK). The wishbones differ from other models because the car has a wider front track.

On the two points of the wishbone that connect to the chassis the front is rose-jointed and the rear mount is a standard tube with a bush. The fault is a weakness in this tube.

When I enquired about the recall I was told they couldn't tell if mine had been replaced - so the only option was to drive it up there and let them have look. The car has been off the road for quite a while, so I've not been up there yet - and in any case it is quite a distance. I have however given the wishbones a good going over - no sign of cracking.

At the weekend I pulled the car off the drive and the wisbone snapped! It snapped on the mount as described above. Had it happened at speed I dread to think what have happend, because even on my drive the failure was enough for the wheels to point in slightly different directions and drop the front of the car by an inch.

After the above I enquired whether I could get a replacement set of wishbones under the recall. I've just had an email back saying:

1. Can I take both lower wishbones off and send them in (at my cost);
2. I can have replacements for £75 plus VAT each;
3. They will give me 20% off as a good will gesture.

My initial thoughts are:

1. This seems a bit unfair if the parts are faulty and there was a recall (remember only one has snapped, but I need to replace both in case the other one goes);
2. If by charging me £150 plus VAT (discount notwithstanding) I am in fact not getting replacements under the recall, why should I send my current wishbones in?
3. Granted my bones are bespoke, but £75 is more expensive than any other wishbones listed on the website for other models.
4. I don't want to burn my bridges with this firm because I've found them decent to deal with until now.

I just would have thought I could have expected a bit more. Maybe I'm being a bit unreasonable? There has admittedly been several years since the recall, but I only found out about it recently.

So what do you think? Send them back and pay the money for replacements or find somewhere local to fix/replace them for me out of principle?

Ironically my car is on p48 of PPC this month. In the time taken to publish that I've snapped a wishbone, destroyed the sump and set fire to the back of the car!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Dan

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

blakep82

posted on 17/8/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
how long ago was the recall?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nick205

posted on 17/8/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I would expect a little more myself.

If they've asked you to return the existing wishbones it indicates (to me) that there is an issue with them.

The fact the recall is several years old should not make a difference either IMO. They should keep a log of which cars have been recalled and rectified and which haven't.

How long have you owned the car - I'd guess longer than the recall period?

contaminated

posted on 17/8/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I've had the car about 2 and a half years. It was built in 96/97 - so the recall could have been a decade ago - hence my hesitation.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Hugh_

posted on 17/8/10 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's pretty shocking that they haven't got a record of which cars they carried out the recall on as it is clearly a safety issue. If they could prove that yours has had the recall then it would be reasonable to ask you to pay.

I suspect they also want your existing wishbones to either modify them, or use them as a pattern to make new ones from...

Strontium Dog

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
If you haven't replaced them and the recall was 10 years ago I'd say you don't have much of a leg to hop on. I had this with a MK11 Golf GTI and a exploding heater matrix. It was way past the recall but to be fair the local VAG dealer did give me a new matrix and would have fitted it to if I had had the time to leave the car with them. I don't think they were obligated though, just did it as I was a good customer.

10 years after the recall and you're lucky the company is still in business, especially in the current climate. The longest of warantees is only 7 years or so and most car manufacturers give less. I would still try to blag them for a better deal mind!

scootz

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I can understand both sides of the situation... I think their concession on the price is a fair offer.

It's Evolution Baby!

snakebelly

posted on 17/8/10 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
your lucky they even published a recall, super six rear trailing arms have been failing for years and despite them being aware of the issue a recall has never been issued, funilly enough all new replacment rear arms now made have additional strengthening built in.....
adithorp

posted on 17/8/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
How long is it since you found out about the recall?
If you've known for while and done nothing (even if it was inconvenient) then I'd not expect them to be in too much of a hurry either.

Either way I'd expect them to replace them FOC but only after having checked that they are the original faulty design and that the failure is due to that.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

GBaggott

posted on 17/8/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I know this doesn't really help the cause....

but we have had a couple of incidents with MNR wishbones (at speed ) and thier customer service was fantastic. They took all 8 wishbones back, manufactured 8 new ones to the new design, powder coated them all for free

Were safety is concerned I think you should be able to get a free recall regardless of the time delay.

contaminated

posted on 17/8/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments guys - I'll keep you posted.
greenwood03

posted on 17/8/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
not sure about the why's and wherefores of the recall versus time element.
Overall i'd be thinking that the easiest way forward without a row is to merely ask them to send you a cheque for 20% of the total purchase price and go and get them made up elsewhere - somewhere where you are confident in the workmanship/timeframe etc etc and where you dont have to mess about posting them!

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.