Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Complicated fuel pipe
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/6/04 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Complicated fuel pipe

I am struggling to get my fuel lines in. Not the routing or the fitting, but all the ford fitted gismos. I had to get rid of my donor in a hurry and left the (what I thought was) fuel pressure regulator and filter in place. The engine is a 2.0 inj pinto.

My understanding of the schematics is:

Fuel tank -> Fuel pump -> filter (all at the back of the car)---> (in the engine bay) Fuel vapour separator-> Fuel rail ->Pressure regulator-> return pipe to the tank.

I dont have the filter from the rear of the car (I have one from an astra though) or the vapour separator - do I need the vapour separator? Its not mentioned in the haynes manual or the autodata fuel injection manual.

Advice from anyone running injection would be very much appreciated

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

theconrodkid

posted on 7/6/04 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
you got a pic of the vapour trap thingy???ive got an inj book at the barn,ill go n dig it out morra

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/6/04 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't got a phote (there is a first), but it sits on the LHF inner wing just below the rear brake bias valve. Ally tank, just bigger than a bean tin
James

posted on 8/6/04 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Mark,

When I asked the question before Conrod told me to ditch it!

So as thaqt's simpler that's what I'm going to do!

James

theconrodkid

posted on 8/6/04 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
thats the carb engine pressure reg james,mark as normal i cant find the book

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

zetec

posted on 8/6/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Always good idea to fit a pre and post pump filter. Injection pumps are prone to locking up due to the smallest bits of rubbish. I've not got a vapour sepeator thingy. Mine is tank-filter-pump-filter-fuel rail-regulator-return to tank.
Mark Allanson

posted on 8/6/04 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I did a bit of research today, it stops the fuel foaming so the injectors get pure fuel and not fuel and air mix.

I think that the standard filter mounted in the engine bay instead of the rear, mounted on end will do the same job - anyone comment?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/6/04 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
my v6 cologne has a nice simple pipe from rear mounted efi pump to the injector fuel rail, and a return to the tank from the rail mounted pressure regulator. No funny boxes, pipes, or whatever.

atb

steve

NS Dev

posted on 9/6/04 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mark, I have built three cars, two for competition use, which were fuel injected and I used the layout of (assuming you don't need to worry about surge i.e. you have a catch pot built into the bottom of your tank)... tank - pump - filter - rail - regulator - return to tank.

Cheers

Nat.

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/6/04 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds great, I do have a swirl pot built into the tank which is also fed by the return. If I do get any problems with foaming fuel, I'll know what to do!

Is there and advantage/disadvantage in having the filter in the engine bay or just after the pump?

NS Dev

posted on 10/6/04 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing major I think, only worry I would have about it in the engine bay is heat. The large filter is usually not quite full, which will then easily give room for vapour if it gets hot, maybe a possibility of vapour locks? Never done it that way so I don't know!?
vintagebuilder

posted on 10/6/04 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hi-jack your post Mark.
If you change the 30/34 DFTH carb on a 2.0l Pinto (which uses a vapour seperator), for a 32/36 DGAV carb do you have to have to change the vapour seperator to a fuel pressure regulator?

Hope someone can help as I'm totally confused.

Regards

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.